Trev, Bream And Mullet

Narralakes

Had a busy day today with the son's soccer grand final, went down 0- 2 :( , then no.2 daughter's sports carnival, so no time for the boat this weekend. Anyhow, ended up going down to Narrabeen Lakes at 3.30 this afternoon with a couple of loaves of bread and my 5wt flyrod. There was a slight SE blowing, but by 4.30 the wind had died off and the water glassed right off. There was also no current at all, just a slight drift with the breeze, I think the the lake is still closed off?? Anyhow, from 3.30 to about 4 it was pretty quiet, started off with a deer hair breadfly and not even a touch for 15 minutes, then swapped to a polar fibre breaddy and first cast and onto a nice little 25 cms bream. Couple of casts later and 2 more bream and one juvenile trev of about 20cms. Once the sun started going down behind the hills, the bigger mullet moved in as they always do right on time, and for the next hour it was pretty hot mullet action with over 10 caught, most were between 25- 30 cms and about 4 I reckon at around 38 - 40, they were the biggest mullet I have caught there for ages and didnt they give the 5 wt a good bend, it was just heaps of fun.

Howard,

the deer hair is all I use to use b4, then someone put me on the fibre and I reckon it has been much more productive than the deer hair, seems to have more a bread texture as well when wet when the deer hair stays fairly stiff. Dont need to weight the fibre flys either as they tend to sink at the right rate once wet.

Ankles,

if you are ever after some mullet for those jews, Narrabeen Lakes has a heap and there are some big ones in there. Mullet sure do go hard on the light gear.

cheers

Guest bluecod
Howard,

the deer hair is all I use to use b4, then someone put me on the fibre and I reckon it has been much more productive than the deer hair, seems to have more a bread texture as well when wet when the deer hair stays fairly stiff.  Dont need to weight the fibre flys either as they tend to sink at the right rate once wet.

Ankles,

if you are ever after some mullet for those jews, Narrabeen Lakes has a heap and there are some big ones in there.  Mullet sure do go hard on the light gear.

cheers

64172[/snapback]

Sounds like a fun session Ken, we'll have to have another go soon and convert some of those poddies into jews over at the beach.