Luderick fantastic

VBCB

I never thought I'd say that one day...

Yes the die hard kingfish hunter that I am is having really good fun fishing for the mighty blackfish with weed.

That change of work preventing me from fishing early morns pushed me into new ways of fishing, and I must say that fishing for blackfish is really nice when you are living 200 m away from the water like I am.

Quick sessions, very little prep, collecting your cabbage on the spot, catching a few fishes, consistent action, being done by drummers every second cast, lol... It's cool.

Although I chuck most of my fishes back, I usually keep one to cut a couple of fillets and boost my omega-3 levels :P and there was a good pair of fillets on that one:

post-30692-0-10223900-1394962256_thumb.jpg

40 cm on the dot, among another 5 or 6 fishes all over 35 cm yesterday before the storm, in less than an hour!

Luderick is fantastic, so fantastic that I'm building a new centerpin rod to celebrate them! Time to get into real authentic stuff, centerpin rod / reel combo and wallis cast to be learnt! Another nice little challenge ahead in a few days when the rod's built and ready to rock.

Here is another pic of a drummer I caught a few days ago, 40 cm on the dot as well, top fight on 8lb leader after being done 5 times in less than 2 hours :(

post-30692-0-16106500-1394962428_thumb.jpg

Nice fish.

Nothing beats them for consistent fun I reckon.

Like your intent to get to the deeper levels of dark art fishing with a centrepin. They really are fun to use.

Keep at it!

KB

PS: What's a wallis cast?

EDIT: Just looked it up. I find that if I cast in one smooth action with a slight pause at the back to allow the weight and momentum of the float to start pulling the line off the reel is easier than stripping line by hand to get that happening. After a while your feel for it will be automatic and you adjust the speed of the line moving out to the distance you want to cast without having to think about it.

Edited by Koalaboi

Well done tc you will get addicted let me add if your after a good pin try the okuma aventa vt1002 is your rod a 12 footer? As for all year round yes they bite all year round but the run will vary from spot to spot and at times you will do better in the estuary than the ocean at the moment most eastern suburbs and southern ledges are firing and they are just starting to pick up in the western parts of Sydney harbour another month and the run will start in the George's river and the bay! In fact there's a few in the bay at the moment tou will get the big north coast runs in may thru to August sometimes right into October. Enjoy the journey!!!!

Edited by luderick -angler

As for all year round yes they bite all year round but the run will vary from spot to spot and at times you will do better in the estuary than the ocean at the moment most eastern suburbs and southern ledges are firing and they are just starting to pick up in the western parts of Sydney harbour another month and the run will start in the George's river and the bay! In fact there's a few in the bay at the moment tou will get the big north coast runs in may thru to August sometimes right into October.

Thanks. I'm heading down to Culburra in a few weeks and have heard of people getting them near there so I may have to give it a go while I'm there.

Over the years Blackfish fishing has achieved Cult status. Just ask Stormy.

There is something mesmerising watching the float and counting when it goes down then feeling the weight of the fish on a super soft rod that bends all the way to the reel seat. Pure Magic!

Nice post and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Paikea

Well done, Often an underated tablefish. treated well i recon they are great. I am envious, i am still to catch a drummer,been dusted a couple of times though.

Fishing for blackies(nearly called them something uterly un PC then) Brings back great memories of fishing for them with my grand farther when i was still knee high to a grass hopper,

Their power on long light rods and center pin reels i recon is what reely got me hooked on fishing.

Nice work, gotta like the work pushing you to fish early. where abouts? was kayaking around a bay near manly and got me some good action with a big trev bream sea gar n tailor. good fun.

Nice work mate!

I've always been tempted to try catching some luderick. Are they on the bite year round?

Jason

Jason ! I certainly don't have the Knowledge of "luderick-angler" on the subject, but I'll confirm one point he stated, they are here year round, as I witnessed them pretty much every time I've been fishing for kings no matter where it was, but I don't know if they are always on the chew ;)

Chilled fisho mate I doubt I'll ever find a job that makes me so happy that it pushes me away from ANY type of fishing lol, but you know how it is ;)

Tc they will bite when and where they want!!!! Once you crack them you wil always have a feed put this way in three years since getting bac from NZ I have fished every weekend for them and only blanked 9 or 10 trips! Some trips I have gotten two bag limits other trips only got one!!! It's a matter of working out what tide works for what spot and what conditions! See you out there one day! Look for a guy in a tan felt hat using a sportex (yellow glass rod) and a centre pin!

Fair enough luderick angler ! ;)

Today I clearly saw they had their mood, went for an hour and half sesh down my flat and I didn't get oooo for the first half then it suddenly started to be insane 30 mins b4 high tide, got 8 fish in 45 mins, I was on every cast, got done twice by drummers.

I also noticed the smallest ones in their 30 cm range were fighting a lot harder than the big ones funnily, the 2 biggest measuring 38 and 39 didn't do more than using their weight and shaking heads.

Good fun, it was the first test of the new rod I just built, bloody oath ! (couldn't use the CP reel because the spot requires long casts of 15+ m and I haven't got the skills yet)

post-30692-0-54757200-1395476605_thumb.jpgpost-30692-0-12104500-1395476625_thumb.jpg

PS: they all went back, 7 BF and one little drummer