Bluey's Beach Foster Blackfish Fishing Of Beach

Ron Howes

On last Tuesday 20th March after a big storm late in the afternoon I hit Bluey's beach armed with fresh cunjevoi, sourced from rocks on southern end of beach, hoping to jag

some bream in the gutter at the northern end of beach.

I was using a running sinker to a swivel with a three foot trace and a long shank flathead hook. The first throw out into the boiling surf resulted in a 40 cm wide mouthed bronzy blackfish.

It was nearly pure white and you could just make out the bars. I could not believe my luck, catching a blackfish on such a big hook and in the surf.

The next cast resulted in another bronzy, even larger than the last one.

I caught another fish just before dark around the kg mark and soon as it got dark the bites stopped.

At day break the next day I hit this gutter again, however the blackfish had gone, the easterly wind had flattened the surf. I did manage to land a silver bream around 3/4 kg in 3 hours fishing.

From the beach I could see an old timer blackfishing on the rocks in a gutter at he southern end of Bluey's beach. He landed about 12 blackfish in an hour between 35-45 cm and left them biting.

I had my blackfishing gear, but no shoes with cleats and my wife was adamant that I was not fishing this spot without the correct gear. She won.

I spoke with this chap, his name was Bill Stoop, an 82 years old who fished this spot often and he said it was excellent for drummer and he nearly always bagged out on blackfish. He offered to take me out to some of his top blackfish spots, if and when I was available.

On Wednesday I sourced some greenweed in the pond beside the breakwall at Forster. While there a chap walked by with two jewfish around 12 kg that he said he caught on the start of the run out tide.

I then fished the breakwall for blackfish at Forster, burlying throughout the run out tide which resulted in half a dozen chats around the 20 cm. and one 30cm sawtail sturgeon that fought like a run away train.

I could see big blackfish feeding among the weeds, but they would not bite.

Howsy