Torn Between Two Lovers

robthefisherman

I walked into my garage today and I'm sure I heard my old valiant hardtop start singing what about me?

I've had my mind set on getting myself a boat in the next few months which would mean putting the val rebuild back about a year and I don't know if I can do it to the old girl. She was scheduled for a full back to metal respray next month and if I go and buy the boat thats gonna have to wait.

So I'm in a dilema, do I keep the old girl waiting and go fishing or postpone the boat. I think I'm leaning towards breathing life back into my baby I reckon if I get the boat I'll be fishing that much I'll never make time to finish her.

Hey rob fix the old girl you can go fishing from the shore anytime and having a car helps you get there mate theres no use having a boat if you cant tow it unless you live on the water ow and the fishing club boat is avalable most of the time and they have that tinny i was telling you about too ill get us some membership details and find out when the skipper is heading out next

Edited by Sharky

Hey rob fix the old girl you can go fishing from the shore anytime and having a car helps you get there mate theres no use having a boat if you cant tow it unless you live on the water ow and the fishing club boat is avalable most of the time and they have that tinny i was telling you about too ill get us some membership details and find out when the skipper is heading out next

64183[/snapback]

That'd be good mate, I've got a VT Commodore for towing duties mate, last thing you want to do with a valiant is get them near salt water they rust and the mere mention of the word. She's not my daily driver I bought here late last year for a project problem was that was just before I got the fishing bug.

The fishing club sounds good though plus I fish regularly on the next door neighbours boat and then theres all the top blokes on this site that welcome me aboard so I reckon I'll stick to the original plan and rebuild the old girl. I can fish from a baot anytime how often can you relive your youth cruzin in a shmick as v8 hemi powered classic :thumbup:

Guest Jocool
Jocool is the man to ask.  He has a great old Falcon sitting in the garage waiting rebuild  & it doesn't get worked on because of his passion for fishing.  So whats the story Joe - which should he do ??

64194[/snapback]

In all honesty...I can't really give an honest answer! :mad3:

I would have loved to have my Falc going......But if I did, I probably wouldn't have a lisence. So maybe it's for the better that I have gone this way! But it seems to me that you have ready access to a boat from anyone on these forums Rob, so perhaps you would be better served by fixing the old girl up! I never had that luxury a few years ago when I decided to get a boat.

Besides...I may have a 440 full house Hemi if your interested! There is even an old 360 Fireball with a 747 box. :thumbup:

Edited by Jocool

Guest Jocool
but I really like the xt through to xy.

64203[/snapback]

Well then you would REALLY like my XY! :thumbup: I had a back to metal rebuild on the body about 14 years ago. It spent 4 years at the beaters, and has now lived for 10 in my various garages. I had the motor all built. Just a little 302 that was puting out about 400 HP, but it found a new home in a Cortina I had. :074::074:

I have a 5.0L EFI motor from an ED Sprint ready to go in, but may have found a better motor. I'm actually in negotiations on that motor. :yahoo::yahoo:

I have a 5.0L EFI motor from an ED Sprint ready to go in, but may have found a better motor. I'm actually in negotiations on that motor. :yahoo::yahoo:

64218[/snapback]

So does that mean your going tio finish it one day?

Well you made me feel better Joe, I was thinking I was slack not touching the car for 10 months I've got a way to go to beat 14 years :tease:

Guest Jocool

Yes it will defenitely get finished...One day!!!

I don't see as being slack, but rather increasing the potential of my investment. Imagine what a mint condition XY or Val hardtop would be worth in another 10 years. :thumbup:

Guest Jocool
--------sell the car, buy the new and bigger boat.

Problem solved

64490[/snapback]

Not that easy Martin. Its hard to sell a part of your life. :wacko:

It was my first ever car. Given to me by my dad on my 18th after we spent an entire year rebuilding it. Lot of memories in that car...some legal...some not. I tried selling it about a year ago. Was no shortage of buyers. I just couldn't bring myself to let it go!

Edited by Jocool

Heres a few pics of the old girl .

Having colour issues now.

Was thinking

Orange with white bumble bee stripe across the back

all white (bit boring and common)

Silver with black vinyl roof and black bumble bee stripe

turquose with ivory roof.

So whatr do you all think?

Guest bluecod
So whatr do you all think?

64528[/snapback]

Artifical Reef :074::074::074:

Sorry Rob - just couldn't help myself!

Didn't they also come in a light mustard/yellow colour ?? You want to keep it all original

I'll pay that George :ranting2:

The pacers came in the mustard colour, Don't nescessarily want to keep it original but I do want to retain a factory muscle car look, hence the bumble bee stripes as per the dodge dart which are exactly the same car except for front end and different rear bumper.

:074: The car looks as thought it is in great condition, a new coat of paint a tidy up in side, some new speakers the size of the rear window, dual exhaust, lowered to 10mm off the ground, some big fat wheels, some lighting behind the grill and under the car, hydraulic lifters so you can adjust the hight, racing style seat belts and the final touch-- black and white fluffy dice of the rear view. :1yikes: Then go out and buy a new white suit and matching hat with a feather in it. Make some contacts in Columbia (I can help you there). :biggrin2: Alternatively cash in. There would be no end of young buyers ready to pay some big money or you could get a bit of movie work for it. :074:

No go then :thumbdown: Not a good idea :1badmood:

Restore it to its classic form and enjoy. It looks great. :thumbup:

I can understand it if you have a passion for something you have had a long time and there are lots of memories and nostalgia associated with it. What ever will give you the greatest pleasure is what you run with.

PS: Rob, don't forget the tow bar for the boat!!!!!! :1fishing1:

Good luck with your new love for the next couple of months.

Cheers