Beach Fishing

lesta

Guest Jocool

GEEZ...you have asked A HUGE amount in just 2 lines! :074:

It all depends on what you intend chasing from the beach. More often than not you can get away with a 10 ft rod, but if you really need to peg a bait out there, you would be better served with a 12 footer. The action of the rod will be very dependant on what baits you are using and what species you target.

If you are clued up with an Alvey, they would have to be the ultimate of the sand. Failing that, any good sturdy eggbeater will work. Shimano Baitrunners are very popular of the beach.

Sinkers and terminal tackle will depend a huge amount on what sort of run is in the water. If you need to anchor the bait in one spot, you can't go past a Star or Pyramid sinker. If you want the bait to move around, then use a ball or bean sinker.

I have only just touched on the options. I'll leave it to some other more clued in members to fill you in on more info. :thumbup:

Guest bluecod

A very useful beach outfit for bream, whiting, flathead, tailor, salmon and school jew is a 6144 rod [based on snyderglas 12' blank] with low mount winch fitting and Alvey 650C5 sidecast loaded with 15lb line - look after it and you will pass it on to your grandkids.

Target the edges of structure [channels and holes] and/or a deep sandbar [high tide] with plenty of wash over it. I don't like to anchor my bait with a big sinker but prefer to let it wash around a bit - but keep in contact with your bait so you can feel the bite.

Bluecod is spot on with his choice of gear in my view. Just make sure you put a couple of swivels in your rig when using the Alvey as line twist can be a problem otherwise. When on the beach if you can get the change of light to coincide with a change of tide, you maximise your chances. Also teach yourself or get someone to teach you how to catch beachworms. Can be tricky to begin with, but they will make a world of difference to your success rate on whiting and bream.

Picking the right spot on the beach takes practice and observation, but where you get a rapid change in depth like a drop off from a sandbank or the edge of a rip is generally a good bet. When you can see the waves break, stop breaking and then break again is indicative of a parallel gutter. Follow one of those along the beach when you see them, lobbing a bait in as you go. Don't be afraid to move along if nothing is happening in one spot as the fish may be congregating in another part of the gutter. You also can do well right in close against the rocks at the end of a beach.

sweet thanks heaps guys... what size sinkers do you reconmend? and how do you spot a drop in the sand bank? i know it might be a stupid question but i not good and seeing these things? thanks again for the great advice

Guest bluecod

Lesta, a No.2 bean comes in very handy on the beach, but you really want to take a selection of sinkers and use one that will allow your bait to move around a bit.

You can tell the deeper water from the shallower water by the unbroken waves. Lots of white water means shallow, and unbroken swell indicates deeper water. If the white water starts to reform into a wave it means the wave is passing over deeper water again.

Talk to one of the older surfers on the beach or even one of the clubbies and get them to point out the gutters and sandbanks for you - most of them will probably help.

One of the hottest bites I've had on a beach was on big winter whiting where if you cast 50' you had cast past the school and wouldn't get a touch - the whiting were right at your feet and I was getting hook-ups in the shore break. Fish all the beach and not just as far as you can cast.

Edited by bluecod