Hydraulic steering

wish2fish

G'day raiders,

I have a seastar HH5271 helm hydraulic steering mechanism that has leaked out all the oil. I presume it's from the front shaft seal as I previously saw a trail of oil coming from under the steering wheel. I initially thought it was the compass oil that had tracked down behind the wheel when it failed but now my steering oil is empty. I can't see any traces of oil anywhere else.

The local dealer has quoted $110 for a seal kit which includes other seals that I wouldn't use. Has anybody had any experience with this type of steering and know if I can buy the front shaft seal on its own? And any advice on how to bleed the system too.

Also my dealer has quoted $20/L for the hydraulic oil. Does this price sound fair?

Cheers,

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Aussie007

ive never owned a boat with hydraulic steering but i'd say if one seal is gone the rest arnt far behind as goes with anything that has seals, i'd replace them all and know u have confidence instead of being stuck somewhere without steering

btw how does your boat handle with this type of steering? i was recently looking into it mainly for my new boat im building to get rid of the steering cables

My first boat had a cable system with a drum behind the steering wheel and pulleys. This hydraulic system I have now is so much better. It's been trouble free for 13yrs until now. It's like having power steering in a car. I recommend it although I don't know what else is out there to compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as gazza said if your going to the effort of dismantling the helm for one seal do them all, and worrying about cost in the same sentence as the word boat is hilarious lol

ive serviced a ram but helms are another thing send it off to get done , place in South Australia does them

fluid is available at chandlery places for $10 per l

Gazza cable doesn't compare

absolutely no feed back through the wheel, I can let go and will keep tracking straight
when trolling for hours no arm soreness from constant corrections
more turns lock to lock though

Edited by Juggs

I have owned several boats with Hydraulic steering. The only one that gave me any problems was fitted to a Trailcraft where the connection to the cylinder came loose. Easily fixed.

I have never heard of any seals in the wheel unit failing but it sounds as though that is what happened to yours. It may be worth while emailing the manufacturer (NZ?) and checking whether they will supply just the shaft seal. The pic of your unit suggests that the system is not very old in which case the manufacturer may feel it worthwhile to enhance their reputation by helping you.

Good luck

Cheers

Paikea

My unit was purchased in 2001 so not so new. I emailed the manufacturer in Florida USA and they gave advise on a kit number to purchase from a local supplier. I found a kit online from a mob in Victoria which costs $35 all up with delivery. A much better price than the last kit. Should come in the mail this week.

Guest Aussie007

My unit was purchased in 2001 so not so new. I emailed the manufacturer in Florida USA and they gave advise on a kit number to purchase from a local supplier. I found a kit online from a mob in Victoria which costs $35 all up with delivery. A much better price than the last kit. Should come in the mail this week.

well done mate shopping around pays off some times, i forgot to add there are videos on youtube on bleeding the steering u fill it up turn the steering left lock than right lock top it up and keep repeating untill all the air is out

let us know how u get on with it