3d fish finder. Gimmick or value add

NaClH2OK9

Hi. I'm just starting to look at updating the electronics on my boat.

I've seen 3d fish finders advertised but can't find much on reviews.

Has anyone got any experience with these and are they worth considering?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi, 3D has not been around since Humminbird had the units many moons ago. If you are talking about Down Imaging and Side Imaging then yes worth every cent in my opinion and now pretty much all the brands have them and the cheapest is around $650 for a 5 inch DI only and traditional sonar colour combo upto "sky's the limit"

Tell me the budget you have and I will tell you want the best unit is in that price bracket for today because as with any electronics it is always changing and what is the best and best value today could be different in a week or two time.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks juggs. I appreciate that it's an art but the whole concept that you see an arch but don't know if it's 10meters left or right seems a bit old fashioned to me (not that I know the technology offerings)

My current unit came with the boat. Garmin 400c I've played with settings but I find it temperamental. I. E loses bottom lock

Huey. Actually I was thinking on the lines of the hummingbird units. I've not looked into this in years but imagined 3d was the future?! I'm only just starting to investigate so will prob be a few months before a purchase but I'm thinking of around $1500 to cover finder and Plotter ( I'm hoping I can do Plotter with a large screen tablet in a waterproof housing as navionics on my phone is better than my murena seiwa. Cartography. But that's another post) if you could recommend a $1000 unit I can explore the features and research and should be well versed by the time I give you a shout at purchase time.

SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Hi, in the $1K and under price range the two to pick from are the Lowrance Elite-7, especially while on sale and the new Raymarine Dragonfly7. If the budget can stretch a little and you want SI too the run out sale on the Humminbird 798SI are hard to beat for both DI and SI.

As you will find out there is always something better for a little more money.

Cheers,

Huey.