Yakking the Hacking: hard lessons learnt...

Witha

G'day raiders, just got off the water after a session on the kayak. Well. It was definitely educational. The overcast weather had me hopeful, but all was not to go to plan. Was hoping to repeat my success of a fortnight ago with a feed of bream and maybe something bigger. Took my new catana 701 snapper and abu 6000 big fish setup as well as my breaming stick in the new milk crate setup, keen to try and do my first session of live baiting / catch some fresh bait. In that I did succeed! Theres a marina at the end of dolans bay that I'd seen yakkas in before and I mashed up a few pillies and within minutes had 3 in the boat! These things almost went 30cm and fought really well actually...

So its absolutely pissing down...so much that I have to keep the scuppers open to avoid getting flooded. I put one out live and strip up another and toss it out. Two hook sliding Snell on the big one. Not sure if I like that rig it seemed to bunch up. (Any tips on strip baits and live rigs? Just had no 2 sinker running to swivel then leader)

No action, then the misery began. I took my sunnies off to clean them...next thing they're in the drink! Frantically I grab my net to snatch them and in the process....dislodge my favourite and treasured starlo stix and 1000 reel bream setup and watch it float to the bottom of the hacking. I had literally just unleashed it to move it. STUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID. These days the combo would only be worth 150 or so...but it had sentimental value as my first "serious" setup. The bay was full of debris and crap from the storms and the fish just weren't hitting. So headed back in frustrated and soaked.

The up side?...new toys...save up.and grab a new dedicated breaming setup. Will be putting a tackle talk post up soon for ideas.

Moral of the story? IF YOU WANNA KEEP IT, LEASH IT!

Well, thanks for reading guys, hopefully next weeks session will have some more smiling moments..

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Nooooooo! That sucks dude. I would have went diving after it. I love all of my outfits. could I suggest a nice T-curve 2-4kg with a 1000 stradic. That would be my favorite bream/trout unit and I love it to bits... almost as much as my kids hehe. It will cost a few bucks but it is pure quality and will last forever if treated well.

Better luck next time mate.

Luc.

Man that sucks, sorry to here u lost your set up, I know exactly how you feel, I'm sure lot a of us do know that feeling. But like you said there's a bright side to it. Your gain in that wet weather. Anyway thanks for sharing, and better luck next time I suppose.

Nice post. I love reading the "when it's been kept real" stories. Bad luck on the rod. Try a few extra turns on the snell knot to make it harder to slide.

SaltWaterDog

Thanks mate, and I'll give that snell knot a rethink

Nooooooo! That sucks dude. I would have went diving after it. I love all of my outfits. could I suggest a nice T-curve 2-4kg with a 1000 stradic. That would be my favorite bream/trout unit and I love it to bits... almost as much as my kids hehe. It will cost a few bucks but it is pure quality and will last forever if treated well.

Better luck next time mate.

Luc.

Cheers luc, and thanks guys for the sympathy, I'll be in black for the mourning period for a while :P I'll definitely be lookin into that, stradic has always been the one I felt I'd end up with :P is the t curve pretty stiff? I'm finding I like the stiffer actioned rods, comparing my 3 graphite estuary sticks they give a bit more control, my 1-3 starlo often felt it gave more than my 3-6 ( but I guess it is a low end sonic pro thoughts on action for light weight lures?. Umming n ahhing over 2-4 or another 1-3, thoughts?

Also I definitely would have chased it but was in the middle of the bay in 15m ish water with zero vis due to the storm water plus current and doing a deep water re entry into the yak in those conditions seemed a bit of a deal breaker for safety.

Cheers guys

Witha

Did you at least get your sunnies back mate? :(

Alas no! Luckily they were the cheapesr polarised ones I could find at 30 bucks. This is why I can't have nice things!

Lol that happened to me one but lost everything on the yak because I didn't tie anything to the yak, first time going on yak and never again

Oooohh thats brutal mate! I feel a bit lucky now haha.

Had the same thing happen to my daughter's Walkman some years ago, dived in and got it before it sank more than 2 meters but NBG afterwards. Don't you just hate it when that happens?  

Cheers

Paikea

Nice effort for retrieval though!

I'm sure there's a few of us yakking rookies had the same thing happen. I know I have, so I feel your pain. The therapy side of losing a great rod and reel was to go out and buy 3 more. Just incase lol

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'm sure there's a few of us yakking rookies had the same thing happen. I know I have, so I feel your pain. The therapy side of losing a great rod and reel was to go out and buy 3 more. Just incase lol

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yup its got a great silver lining not gonna go impulse buy cheaper stuff, save up and get something truly pretty. And hey. Now I have no light outfit I'll just have to concentrate on flatties and the elusive jew!

At 30cm+ - you might consider eating those yakka's. Yakkas are a cousin of kingies, and are really excellent eating, if too fiddly to eat in the smaller sizes. Just scale, filet, skin, and then slice the fillets twice along the mid-line to cut out the line of bones and red flesh. OK, at 10cm, not worth it, but at 30 cm, I'd say it is worth it. Salt and pepper, dash of lemon.

And Poseidon does nothing with lost rods. I've pulled up more than one lost rod in my time, and they are never any use. Straight to the bin. And yes, I've lost at least one rod out the back of a boat.

At 30cm+ - you might consider eating those yakka's.  Yakkas are a cousin of kingies, and are really excellent eating, if too fiddly to eat in the smaller sizes.  Just scale, filet, skin, and then slice the fillets twice along the mid-line to cut out the line of bones and red flesh.  OK, at 10cm, not worth it, but at 30 cm, I'd say it is worth it. Salt and pepper, dash of lemon.

And Poseidon does nothing with lost rods.  I've pulled up more than one lost rod in my time, and they are never any use. Straight to the bin. And yes, I've lost at least one rod out the back of a boat.

Thanks for the tip man :) yeah was actually thinking the really decent one had nice fillets on it...I know wjat my backup plan will be now!

Stupid Posiedon. He could at least do a clean and lube on them once inna while! :P

Witha mate,

Hard luck on the outfit. But tell me, were you within casting distance of the mariner when you lost it. I've dredged up some interesting stuff fishing from Wally's Wharf. At least you've ID'd the gear, so if anyone who reads this does retrieve it within a week or two, at least you'll get the rod back in working condition. Keep on persisting. After that, as Ginko suggests, probably all is lost. The Hacking can be hard, but when it's on, it's ON!

Edited by GreyNurse

Witha mate,

Hard luck on the outfit. But tell me, were you within casting distance of the mariner when you lost it. I've dredged up some interesting stuff fishing from Wally's Wharf. At least you've ID'd the gear, so if anyone who reads this does retrieve it within a week or two, at least you'll get the rod back in working condition. Keep on persisting. After that, as Ginko suggests, probably all is lost. The Hacking can be hard, but when it's on, it's ON!

Thanks mate, can't remeber if it would be but I think I was a fair way further out. Hopefully someone grabs it even of it just gets a new home :P

Yeah I'm enjoying the hacking, very scenic, can't wait to give it a go with my new fish finder so I can actually track what's under me!