Tinny Help

roosters123

The answers here are spot on. Under 10 knots ( and not a commercial passenger carrying vessel) and you can operate any sized vessel.

Crazy rule really when you consider what damage you can do even under 10 knots with a reasonably sized vessel. My advice would be to get the handbook in Flathead's link and study the rules anyway so you are at least clear what you should do when someone who has a license confuses you by failing to observe the rules.

Good Luck!

Hi, as the guys have said licence is all to do with speed and it is grey area because just because you may be pulled over at a time doing under 10 knots, if the boat is capable of doing more than you can be fined if you do not have a licence. That is why when we set up hire boats we have to restrict them to under 10 knots at WOT.

Also that boat will need to be registered, which is to do with HP.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

i once had a 8hp evinrude late 90's model on a small 8 foot tinny the thing absolutely hammered lol

we got pulled up in my mates boat about 4 weeks ago as i was not driving my mate said he was driving the water police asked for a license i said that he was driving less than 10 knots they accepted that and we were on our way

Guest Aussie007

it is registered, so i dont need one?

if its under 5hp u dont need a license or registration i think

if its over 5hp it needs registration and without a license u can do up to 18.5kph with a license your unrestricted

watch out for those sand bars they jump out at ya :mfr_lol:

what you can do is take out your smart phone

start the gps app, then try out the boat

flat out and see how fast it goes.

Getting a boat license isn't all that hard and its not very expensive. ($56 a year) PWC (jetski) will cost you an arm and a leg every year though.

Boat Licences

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5 km/h) or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Rego

Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5hp)

which means my little boat needs to be rego'd or i put a smalled O/B on it

I'd say with your current setup, you'll be very unlikely to get pulled up, even less so if they

can see you are wearing a lifejacket

Edited by antonywardle

licencing from the website

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed.

Any person who is the master of a powered vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5kph) or more must have a boat driving licence.

Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it.

The exception is that anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

rego from the website

A person must be at least 16 years of age to register a vessel in NSW. The following vessels must be registered in NSW when occupying NSW navigable waters:

zzAny commercial vessel.

zzPower-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (as a guide, 4.0kw is approximately 5hp).

zzAny power-driven or sailing vessel of 5.5 metres or longer.

zzEvery vessel subject to a mooring licence or marina berth.

zzPersonal watercraft (PWC).

So a 5hp would need rego

thats straight off the maritime nsw website and from the licence handbook

Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more(as a guide, 4.0kw is approximately 5hp).

Edited by Juggs

Hi Juggs, I am no fan of the RMS either but they sort of have it right, although it would be easy to talk in HP, because no outboard is rated on the engine cowl sticker via its kw rating. 5HP equals 3.7Kw, so any engine over 4.0Kw-which is about 5.4HP, would need to be registered and I have yet to see a 5.4HP outboard in my time.

Cheer,

Huey.

• Confused 1