Port Hacking - more rain than fish

Yowie

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli early this morning, and it rained from start to finish.

First cast was a 73cm flattie, on a strip of salted bonnie caught last week. Not a lot of fight, the fish was more interested in head shakes to remove the hook stuck in the corner of it's mouth, and once in the net, the hook fell out. A quick photo and it was released.

Not much else, 2 tailor of 41 and 45cm, a bream of 33cm and a lone crab.

Lots of small reddies, none legal like I expected as the murky water usually brings the bigger ones on the bite. Also squid strips kept on disappearing without any bites, suspect it was small jackets. No yellowtail either.

A lot of leaves, sticks and logs up to 10 feet floating in the water, so be careful motoring along at night.

I have a couple of photos, but they won't transfer from my phone to the computer.

Ditto on being careful in the hacking, was cruising through fields of crap and some substantial logs in the yak, wouldn't like to see what some of them would do to a prop

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A lot of leaves, sticks and logs up to 10 feet floating in the water, so be careful motoring along at night.

OMG 10 foot logs, you've got to be kidding! Imagine hitting them at any speed.

But will be a good spot for Dollies once they get out in the open sea. Maybe you should have stuck a flag on them Yowie.

Nice Flathead, was it very black?

Cheers

Paikea

OMG 10 foot logs, you've got to be kidding! Imagine hitting them at any speed.

But will be a good spot for Dollies once they get out in the open sea. Maybe you should have stuck a flag on them Yowie.

Nice Flathead, was it very black?

Cheers

Paikea

A dark colour, with a face only a big mother flathead could love. :074:

Many years ago, a mooring pole floated along after a big storm, it was as big as a telegraph pole. Was eventually tied to the rocks in Yowie Bay until it was recovered.

I expected a few floaties after all the rain, so I motored along at a reduced speed in the dark. Still hit a few floaties. Just wonder where all the floaties come from, maybe they float over the Audley Weir from the bush.

A 73cm flatty is a great fish. Mt biggest so far is 68 so I would have been well chuffed with that.

Sounds like a good day regardless of rain. :)

The best I have caught is 86cm, but there are bigger ones in Port Hacking at times. The bigger ones I catch in deep water do not put up much of a fight, but when hooked in shallow water, their fighting abilities are greatly increased.

Yowie, if you don't mind me asking how long have you fished the Hacking? You seem to know it like the back of your hand.

Over 50 years. Started fishing from the Yowie Bay wharf about 5 years old.

And there are some places I still have not yet fished !

Over 50 years. Started fishing from the Yowie Bay wharf about 5 years old.

And there are some places I still have not yet fished !

Awesome. We used to live in Cronulla but moved when we had our second boy. 2 bdr unit wouldn't cut it anymore. I love the Hacking, still find myself getting down to Maianbar as often as time allows, great part of the world.

Have been talking to a friend of mine who is a deck hand on the cronulla ferries he was saying the is so much debris in the water it's damaging. Not just prop stopper logs but so many leaves and Shit that block the water inlets for engines making them overheat. Hope it clears a bit by the weekend.

......... SaltWaterDog

Have been talking to a friend of mine who is a deck hand on the cronulla ferries he was saying the is so much debris in the water it's damaging. Not just prop stopper logs but so many leaves and Shit that block the water inlets for engines making them overheat. Hope it clears a bit by the weekend. ......... SaltWaterDog

It usually doesn't take much to clear the Hacking out and there are a couple of decent sized tides tomorrow so it shouldn't be too bad.

Dave