salt water vs bearings - a cautionary tale

Just thought I'd post a quick note about the perils of salt water and why you really should be diligent with reel cleaning and maintenance.

I just pulled down a Shimano Chronarch 100 baitcaster that had done a recent trip to Weipa. The reel was in good condition and the main point of the service was to upgrade the drag to Carbontex.

But despite the reel being only barely used, I found a completely trashed bearing in the right side plate. Sorry about the crappy photo... all I had at the time was my iPhone.

post-6175-0-68520300-1395966888_thumb.jpg

So how did it get like this??? It wasn't dunked, it wasn't misused, it didn't get splashed by a wave... the only exposure to salt that this reel got that we can work out was the fine spray from running around Weipa creeks in a runabout. In other words, it was used exactly the way it should be used yet it still destroyed a bearing. Capiliary action can 'suck' salt water into tight spaces in the blink of an eye.

The owner of this reel didn't do anything wrong in using the reel but he wasn't as fastidious with his cleaning. It goes to show why you should clean reels EVERY TIME you use them in salt water. Inspect and lube them regularly. And I'd recommend doing a full service and relubing after any extended trip (where almost inevitably the reels get used harder than normal).

KEEP THEM CLEAN, Tony

Edited by slinkymalinky

A lttle Salt X or Corrosion X goes along way... So does a good bearing packer..... Not so much to do with crappy bearings...All Stainless bearings, even sealed ones will rust to some extent if left exposed to salt water for any length of time. I see this kind of stuff all the time even from people who clean their gear religously.... Some of the ones that come of Charter boats are absolute shockers.

Another thing that may cause this type of damage is washing it in fresh water and then putting it in a neoprene reel cover before its completely dry

Edited by Crossfire63

• 1 year later...