Livebaiting flathead help-poddy mulllet

daniel ogden

Hi guys I am fairly new here and I am going away in a week and a half to durras lakes, I hope to catch some flathead and bream in the lake and hopefully some salmon off the beach. I am going to be live bait fishing fior the bream and flathead with nippers for the bream and poddies for the flathead. What are some tips when fishing for flathead with poddies like rigging and so on. I have a small poddy trap but not sure what to put in it to attract them, is plain bread okay or should I add some tuna oil. Thanks guys.

Set your poddy trap in shallow water just under the surface. They seem to work better that way.

Also spread some bread crumb burly (sparingly) around the trap to get the poddies to follow the trail back to the trap.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

im out of tune with the poddys i have been targeting them in chipping norton lake lately i bought some shit bread 2 loafs for $5.50 the poddys didnt like it :ranting2: i managed 2 poddys in the trap that day lol tried again with a better loaf of white bread and caught a few poddys than yesterday we wernt targeting poddys but thought we'd give it a go and use salt and vinegar chips the poddys loved it but i didnt have a suitable trap :mfr_lol: we tried a slupee cup taped the lid inside out but i think the fish noticed the black tape or patterns on the cup and wouldnt go inside it

Don't set your trap too deep. The poddies like to mill around on the surface. And white bread is the go but break it in small pieces plus crumbs.

A good way to make a simple trap is to take a large plastic drink bottle, cut the top out of it so that you have the tapered section plus approx 25 mill of the body of the bottle.

Then cut the screw top end so that you get a hole that is approx 35 mm. Now reverse the top and push it into the bottle and mark where the tapered piece comes to in the bottle.

Next punch some holes in both the tapered piece and the bottle and thread some line thru the holes to fix the tapered section in the bottle. No need to be too fussy, as long as you don't leave any large gaps. You will also need to be able to detach the top to get the poddies out.

If I get time next week and anyone is interested I may try to make one and post "how to" pics.

Cheers

Paikea

Mate the easier way to do it which I do alot get a 2l soft drink bottle cut a cross into it fairly big in the middle of the bottle but closer to the lid push the 4 tabs that you have now made into the bottle so that the hole is a square leave the tabs attached it will help trap them now tie string around the bottle neck and put rocks or sinkers into the bottle so that they sit in the neck of the bottle put enough weight that the bottle sinks past the hole you made after that put bread in the bottle and chuck it out you want the bottle to float so that the whole hole is just under the surface copy the video

I like that idea, very simple and obviously effective.

Cheers

Paikea

Yep. go 2 litre water bottle from the supermarket, cut a a square hole , fold down the flaps and place it just below the surface as poddys feed just below the surface. Dont place it too deep, otherwise youll get lots of toad fish and small bream .If you get one poddy in the trap, leave him in there. he will encourage others and move the bread around the trap. Leave it ten minutes and you should have a couple. They last for atleast 24 hours with a cheap aerator

Then use circle hooks for them, but beef up your trace because you will often find the poddy deep in the flatties mouth.

Dredog