Take 2 - Port Hacking Plastics

W4z

Left wondering whether I just got lucky the other day I decided to try again and flick a few plastics around. I had about an hour and a half before dark and high tide fell right in the middle. First up I had a squid attack my zman grub but the hook didn't set. Shame because I got a look at it and it would have been a pb for me. Didn't have any squid jigs on me so just moved on.

It was a bit slower today but after about 40 minutes I hooked something up. Turned out to be a 38cm flatty. No monster but just reassures me that I'm doing something right. Continued fishing til a bit after dark then headed home. The water was so calm it was a very peaceful evening.

post-33500-0-19765300-1397126239_thumb.jpg

I had been told that dusky flatheads have a toxin on the spikes that causes more than usual pain. Maybe this isn't true? It was this toxin that I was referring to, but maybe it's just a myth...

I had been told that dusky flatheads have a toxin on the spikes that causes more than usual pain. Maybe this isn't true? It was this toxin that I was referring to, but maybe it's just a myth...

I have found that the gill rakes (sharp razor blade spines on the gill plate) make you bleed/ itch more than usual / getting spiked by them or bream etc is worse than say a needle. But that could be due to salt/ unfamiliar compounds on the skin. One trick which may be an old wives tale is to wipe some of the flatties slime on the cut, seems to neutralize it a little. Pretty easy to avoid if they're dead n ready to fillet, but avoid those gill rakes! Many a scar on my hands from a flatty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

They don't hurt more than usual but they do have an anti coagulant which makes the blood keep coming. That is the reason some say to rub slime on it but I am not sure how effective it is. It doesn't seem to help me much...

Ok thanks for the info guys. As you can see I'm still learning a lot. Because I had heard to rub your hand on the belly if you were spiked that just reinforced that there must be some toxin or poison to me. Good to hear what you guys think

Flathead are not the only fish that can give you a nasty sting with considerable pain.

There is a little fish that is sometimes caught when dragging a prawn net, I only know it as a "Happy Moment". Got hit by one in Lake Illawarra some years ago, hurt like hell and took a long time for the pain to subside.

Anyone else struck one of these and know their correct name?

Cheers

Paikea

Flathead are not the only fish that can give you a nasty sting with considerable pain.

There is a little fish that is sometimes caught when dragging a prawn net, I only know it as a "Happy Moment". Got hit by one in Lake Illawarra some years ago, hurt like hell and took a long time for the pain to subside.

Anyone else struck one of these and know their correct name?

Cheers

Paikea

I think one of their names is black trevally.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

One trick you might not know consists in unhooking your fish belly up while holding it firmly. When turned upside down the flathead tends not to move, or at least a lot less. Must create something in its brain or nervous system, doesn't arm them but they get in a sort of lethargy.