Circle Hooks

Paikea

On my recent fishing trip to Ulladulla I used some Octopus Circle hooks for the first time.

A bugger to put the bait on them due to the point being turned in toward the shank but very impressed with their performance. Mrs Paikea had her rod in a rod holder when she caught the two Bream that I reported on earlier. Both were hooked in the hinge of their jaws with no striking from her.

Switching to these hooks when I go outside, be interesting to see how they perform on Flathead.

Cheers

Paikea

On my recent fishing trip to Ulladulla I used some Octopus Circle hooks for the first time.

A bugger to put the bait on them due to the point being turned in toward the shank but very impressed with their performance. Mrs Paikea had her rod in a rod holder when she caught the two Bream that I reported on earlier. Both were hooked in the hinge of their jaws with no striking from her.

Switching to these hooks when I go outside, be interesting to see how they perform on Flathead.

Cheers

Paikea

G'day

I've used them on offshore flathead for a while, and are now my go to hooks

Cheers Leo

Guest Aussie007

Paikea, circle hooks are great i find they suit my fishing style, im a low risk taker so i miss all those bites from the fish as i wait for the "big take" and end up just loosing my bait with J hooks :lol: so i now use circle hooks and let the fish hook its self i can relax but im often finding i gut hook a lot of fish with the hooks

Guest Aussie007

Hey gazza i found that to but only with offset circle hooks thats where the point isnt inline with the shank i then swapped to hooks that are inline and i stopped getting gut hooks it was magic i only use up to 1/0 circles tho for whiting bream flathead tailor ect

yeah its happening with two brands of hooks now both are inline not offset one was Owner the other is Mustard, either the fish are very hungry or its actually me letting the fish swim off with the bait and swallowing it deeper than it should go could also be i use to small a hook for the fish i catch

Hey gazza i found that to but only with offset circle hooks thats where the point isnt inline with the shank i then swapped to hooks that are inline and i stopped getting gut hooks it was magic i only use up to 1/0 circles tho for whiting bream flathead tailor ect

What brand of circles do you use?

Interesting that you only use 1/0 circles for all your fishing, do you tie them through the eye or snood them? I read an article recently that claimed that the pros all snood their circle hooks as they get a better hook up rate than tied on ones. Anyone have any idea why that would be?

Cheers

Paikea