Navionics with Sony Xeperia Z Tablet (Android)

NaClH2OK9

Hi Raiders,

Like many on here I have the Navionics app on my phone (Samsung S3).

I'd like to upgrade to a much larger screen for my boat and have seen the Sony xperia Z Tablet is good looking and waterproof as well.

the Navionics website has a VERY small list of compatible android Tablets and has not been updated since july 2013

However the compatibility pdf has a footer that says

"

Navionics apps are designed to load and operate correctly with all tablets with an Android OS 3.0 or higher and all smartphones with an Android OS 2.3.3 or higher.

"

I've spent a few hours searching the internet but not managed to turn up a definite answer to this.

does anyone know if (or is using) the Navionics Android App compatible with the Sony Xperia Z tablet.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I can't answer your question directly, but if you're looking at using the tablet exclusively as a mapping tool on the boat you can down grade or load a specific version of Android on most devices. The tricky part is finding a version made for that hardware (processor and motherboard rather than the make and model) and persevering until you get it loaded. I did it with an old Samsung phone for my partner so she could get the latest apps and games that weren't compatible with the old Android. Took me most of a day messing with it though. If you know someone in IT they might be able to make it less painful if you go that route.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian and thanks for the reply.

Funny but I'm the It person I know 20years with Microsoft and Cisco but almost zero Linux Exp. I wondered if this was a fundamental issue with the app and perhaps graphics drivers or something but know enough about it that you can go down the bloody rabbit hole with these things. Just not keen to spend $500 just to find it won't work

Unfortunately I'm also anti apple so the big obvious ipad solution isn't attractive (but may end up the easy option :( )

......... SaltWaterDog

I haven't but will. Thought I may hit someone trying it in the wild here. user experience is so much more valuable than entry level manufacture support.

......... SaltWaterDog

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Steve, you might want to start with the version of Android they use on the Experia and go from there. Even if Samsung add proprietary bits to it, they are required to maintain compatibility with the version they use this should give you a start point when talking to Navionics.

you say you got it on your smart phone well sign it to Google play with the same acc that you use with your phone go to my apps on Google play navionics app will be there download onto your tab and see if works did it with my galxay tab not a prob

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Official reply from navionics is that it is supported. But to make it onto the official supported list they have to test it them selves on that device.

So I'm comfortable it will work out of the box. Just need to decide if this will give me the best solution to my Plotter requirements now.

......... SaltWaterDog

you say you got it on your smart phone well sign it to Google play with the same acc that you use with your phone go to my apps on Google play navionics app will be there download onto your tab and see if works did it with my galxay tab not a prob

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

I did exactly the same. Try it. You bought it already, so just try. I have it on Motorola Razr XT910, no problem.