Catching Yakkas at Balmoral

flattiefisher27

G'day Raiders

Planning on hiring a boat at Balmoral tomorrow but before hand I would like to catch a few Yakkas to use as live bait? Just wondering if anyone has any advice on catching the Yakkas and then how I should rig up my line to use them as bait.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Flattiefisher27 (Jacob)

Plenty of yakkas at Balmoral, i use a sabiki rig ( about $2 at most tackle shops) with small pieces of prawns, squid or Pilchards. Burley them up with small pieces of bread. Once you have your livies i use a very basic rig, large ball sinker down to a swivel then on to your leader tie a 2 hook snelled rig at the bottom. Feed the top hook just through the nose of the fish and the back hook about halfway down just under the dorsal fin. Make sure you have some slack line between the two hooks so you livey can swim freely. Good luck mate

Lots of yakkas at balmoral. Get in close to the island and burley up. You can't miss it as there are often a few boats there catching bait.Sabiki's are good but if you are like me after the first yakka you spend the next half hour untangling the thing. I stick to a hand line with a single small hook and a bit of pillie. While you are there throw a squid jig around too.

I'm with devil ray about fishing with them.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was at balmoral yesterday trying to get live bait this is unusual for me but yakkas were impossible to catch i anchored up at the island and burlied up but all there were was sweep and stripy things. tried for squid there and got 3 but had no yakkas so i headed in the wharf and got them there but they would not take a sabki they only would take single hooks only ended up getting 3 yakkas  :ranting2:

Thanks for the info guys. Let's hope the yakkas will play ball today!!!!!

Hi flattiefisher27

I was at balmoral yesterday (with Sydneyfisher12), just like he said, keep the burley going, unwieghted little hook with pilly, prawn or whatever bait u want.

To rig them hook either through the nose, just behind the head and just above the lateral line or near the tail where their scoots start or a little back.

If u want a snell, one behind the head and one near the scoots near the tail.

Hope this helps