Taylor At Clifton Gardens

a.miller

Headed down to clifton gardens yesterday afternoon arriving around 3pm.

It was pretty quiet at first, all i pulled in was a big puffer fish.

For the next hour or so there were a few nibbbles on the line but nothing to show for it.

Then the bite seemed to go off, and wandered if there was something bigger around to scare them off.

Just after 5 as it was getting dark and i threw yet another peeled king prawn out. Straight away i had a big bite and the hook was bitten off the 8lb vanish line.

Bugger i thought as i tied on another hook and peeled another prawn. Cast it out and again same thing bitten off.

I thought it had to be tailor.

Tied on a wire trace and cast out again and bang onto a good sized taylor.

Unfortunately that one got away just as i got it to the wharf.

4th time lucky i landed a good size tailor. The guy beside me michael started hurling out river 2 sea minnows and withing 5 minutes had pulled in 3 good size tailor.

By now i had run out of prawns so tried some squid but i didn't get any bites within a minute so tried spinning a halco metal lure. No bites after 5 minutes unfortunately.

Went to try another lure but by then it was too dark to see the line to tie the lure on, oh well.

It sure was fun while it lasted.

Question I have always used uncooked prawns, has anyone had success with cooked prawns i could have got some at a better(smaller) size cheaper but tey were cooked??

Aaron

Question I have always used uncooked prawns, has anyone had success with cooked prawns i could have got some at a better(smaller) size cheaper but tey were cooked??

Aaron

64602[/snapback]

Hey Aaron

sounds like a fun day at the gardens......

id stick with the uncooked prawns but you never know...give it a go and see what happens and if you catch anything on cooked prawn make sure you tell us :biggrin2:

pags

Guest Jocool

Aaron

64602[/snapback]

DO NOT USE IMPORTED PRAWNS FOR BAIT!

It may be cheaper, but imported praws, weather cooked or raw, are not approved as a bait. If they have some foreign disease that is not in our waters, they will spread it. Although they would have been cleared for human consumption.

I never worry about prawns becuase I very rarely use them and when i do they are fresh hawksbury prawns.

I beleive that foreign prawns, squids or any other potential bait items that were meant for human consuption but are used as bait, has the potential to wipe out eco systems if used.

Its always better to spend the extra money to ensure fresh bait that is contaminent free. Who knows what some of the imported prawns have in them. If you catch a keeper on one you have no idea how quickly a disease can overrun a host and the damage it could possibly do to yourselfs once you consume the fish, especially if you keep buying the prawns ans eating keepers. It may take time but it may be harful in the end.

Just food for thought.

Cheers

Lee

Guest Jocool
Joe since when did a type of prawn have to be approved for use as bait?  I must admit I have used them on a number of occasions.

64690[/snapback]

Thats the thing Bashir....No-one has said that they are safe for our waters. And with the relaxing of the quarantine laws a couple of years ago, who is to know???

I remember seeing a report a while ago from the CSIRO I think it was.

Its like Lee said....We don't know what contaminents are in there,,,so why risk it!

Guest bluecod

All hell broke loose a while ago when fresh salmon was imported into Tasmania for fear of disease to the native population

Illegal salmon found - Liz Rodway

Investigations are continuing today, after six boxes of illegal salmon were found at a wharf in Hobart earlier this week. Due to quarantine regulations, it's illegal to import uncooked foreign salmon into the state, as it poses significant threat to the salmon industry and recreational fishery. You may remember only a few months ago, over a tonne of Norweigan salmon found it's way into Tasmanian supermarkets, which led to the introduction of tighter quarantine protocols. Co-director of the National Anglers Lobby, Harvey Taylor, says he's shocked the salmon's been found after the huge campaign to stop this behaviour only a few months ago.

I refuse to buy frozen hawkesbury prawns for $29 a kilo!

I noramlly buy qld banana prawns for bait but I have at times bought imported prawns for bait, never really thought about the issues surrounding it.

i might try cliftons again... please keep these good reports coming.

so far i've tried cliftons 3 times and all i've caught was 1 small squid.

64904[/snapback]

cliftons can be a temperamental place to fish, the tides plays a big role for that place. Rising tide is usually better than falling tide, but when the place turns on it's ON !!

Clifton garderns is a spot where tide really plays a big part. Used to fish a lot there with bmar. Actually during summer we were usually there on most days when the kingies were biting. Actually over the space of 1 summer I had over 16 hookups on kings on that jetty. Only problem was that i was using 4lb fireline and 8lb leader. It doesn't help that the barnacles have a love for shredding leaders.

Kings normally come in during the rising tide while the bonnies, tailor and watsons bonitos tends to find their way there during the top of the tide. I strongly believe in having a berlery trail running as can actually see them gulping down the scraps up the trail. Highly exciting. I clearly remember a fab day where me and bmar experienced 9 kingie hookups, 3 bonnies and huge schools of tailor bursting up all around us. It must have been a sight of us running around like mad men casting metals into the frenzy and hooking up. Good stuff. Oh how I miss cliffy. Bmar, we really shld find some time and head there. psst... i heard there is a late run of kingies at clifton of late. time to get the 8lb leader out again eh.

regards

DArryl

People keep lying about how good this place is and I keep falling for them!!!

I went out today got their just before sunset and fished till 7:40pm (high tide was 7:30) and caught NOTHING AGAIN!!!

Infact not even a bite! not even a YAKKA!! :1badmood:

I am never going to this SHIT-HOLE again :ranting2:

PS Unless I get another report of good catch (which I will fall for another lie!)

mate,

u really gotta be patient. Now is really a very difficult time to fish anywhere. There have been days we get nothing there where as there are days where fish are bursting up everywhere around us. U gotta try the place during different times. When summer comes u can be sure i'll be there hanging a bait over the jetty whenever the tide is decent and i have the time. I love the place.

regards

DArryl

I went out today got their just before sunset and fished till 7:40pm (high tide was 7:30) and caught NOTHING AGAIN!!!

Infact not even a bite! not even a YAKKA!!  :1badmood:

I am never going to this  SHIT-HOLE again  :ranting2:

PS Unless I get another report of good catch (which I will fall for another lie!)

65159[/snapback]

mate have a look at my website, I made a page dedicated for Clifton Gardens, shows you what that place has got to offer in summer.

put in the hours in that place and you'll reap from it. What rigs did you use when fishing there ?

Guest bluecod
I know I know but 3 outing and nothing =  :ranting2:

65215[/snapback]

Gianniz,

mate we all go through dry spells at times or sometimes the bite just shuts down for no obvious reason - a bit of advice is to learn different techniques or try for a specific type of fish [and I mean concentrate on just the one type of fish] until you reckon you stand a good chance of success most times you try for that species, then try another type after that one

If you're just "going fishin" then you're setting out to spend a lot of time outdoors in the fresh air.

Yesterday I went out specifically for blackfish and caught blackfish, today I went out after salmon, didn't find any but had a backup plan for trevally and caught trevally.

Soon it will be time for flathead, kingfish, bream and whiting so find out all you can about those fish and target what's in season.

Thanks for the advice.

I say its the NO FISHING PART OF THE SEASON :(

its too cold :(

I had 3 rods, one had a float with pillies tried different depth and no success.

Tried the bottom fishing,

tried squid fishing but no luck.

To be honest I just want to catch couple of Slimey's :) Thats all I ask for :biggrin2:

PS Around 7pm I was the only one fishing on a friday night... so I guess people know by instinct that its sloowwww.

I am never going to this  SHIT-HOLE again  :ranting2:

mate im sorry for 'lying' about how good this place is but i dont think you have to catch a fish to make a place good....clifton is beautiful and very easy to fish....

you say you arrived at sunset and fished untill 7.40...thats 2 hours my friend and only 10 minutes after the tide turned, if you get the shits after only 2 hours of fishing i dont think fishing is for you...be patient and chillax :1fishing1:

maybe its better if you keep that attitude away from the gardens anyway....

peace

pags

mate im sorry for 'lying' about how good this place is but i dont think you have to catch a fish to make a place good....clifton is beautiful and very easy to fish....

you say you arrived at sunset and fished untill 7.40...thats 2 hours my friend and only 10 minutes after the tide turned, if you get the shits after only 2 hours of fishing i dont think fishing is for you...be patient and chillax :1fishing1:

maybe its better if you keep that attitude away from the gardens anyway....

peace

pags

65545[/snapback]

:dito: i agree with paggles on this one!! fair enough if you spent all day there, but 2 hours without action is nothing to get pissed about!!!!! Clifo is a great spot maybe u should check out marios site if u think we are "LYING"!!!!!!!!

cheers subynick...

Dope I forget its hard to express sarcasm on the internet.

I was trying to say how miseral my luck is in cliftons :( nothing more.

You know the saying Hit and Miss ( well guess which one I HIT :1prop: )

Please don't take my comments too seriously. :thumbup: