Clifton Gardens/Spit bridge - 24/4

SgtBundy

Woke up early on a day off and decided to head out to see if I could entice something onto my new heavier gear. Got out to Clifton Gardens about 7:30 and sent out a few pillies only to have them stripped off the hooks by pickers.

Yakkas started up so I had a go with a sabiki rig and found they were only interested if I baited it. Got a few so sent one out live under a float hoping for something interesting. First one got in a panic and went quiet, brought it in to find it bitten clean behind the head (hook in the nose). Got a few more yakkas, Unfortunately the shags picked up on my action and chased out the float to harass my bait. Lost several trying to avoid the shags. Finally got another out that got bit on back and left dead. Gave up around 12 and took some dead yakkas for fresh bait.

Changed location to spit bridge and went lighter casting around the pylons. Got bites but nothing took, except one that put up a fight but popped off.

So good to try some new things but all up bust for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I need to setup more varied rigs at home so I can do them properly and adapt to situations, that is one thing I am learning already. The back hits had me thinking I needed a second hook as some of the yakkas were big enough to support a couple, but I would rather set them up at home where I can reference a proper rig rather than improvise in he field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did see a large calamari hovering around early when I got there, but had nothing ready to have a go at him. He jetted off pretty quick anyway.

Would have liked to have had hooked up on what probably was a tailor that took the back of the first yakka - he was big enough to swallow 4-5" of yakka before he took the bite.