Time to target - what to aim for?

SgtBundy

Booked it so I could get the entire week off this week (3 days leave for 10 days off) but despite about 6 various trips out I so far have one 25cm bream to show for it (plus one cranky long tom that got sent back). This included a few surf fishing attempts, some light lure and SP attempts around the entrance and a few varied hours on the harbour.

Some advice I have had is just that they go off the bite around his phase of the moon, plus from what I read some of the species are not active in the harbour at the the moment. I can do the regular bream/flathead targeting easy enough but I am looking for something different and hopefully with a bit of fight in it.

I am only shore based so that sort of limits my options, but I am wondering what I can target at various times of the year around the harbour? From what I have read any kings in the harbour at the moment will be sparse and probably hard enough to get from the shore. I know there has been a bit of tailor activity but so far I have only encountered choppers. I would like to go for jewfish at some point but my time and ability to properly prep to get decent bait is limited.

What sort of species can I expect at the moment around the harbour?

What are the normal cycles of the species that come through - from what I gather kings are during the warmer months, while the tailor should start to fire up in the next few months, is there anything else that is an option at the moment?

If I can't get out during dawn/early hours is what is the best way to use my time during afternoons that I can get out?

Any tips appreciated.