First jewie attempt - Narrabeen

SgtBundy

With some very welcome advice from Crossfire63 I planned a trip out to Narrabeen this evening to have my first go at Jewies.

Rocked up at the surf club around 5pm and found what appeared to be a gutter right in front of where I parked. Got setup and decided to hedge my bets with a 6/0 gang hook rig instead of the 10/0 Gamakatsu hooks I bought for the occasion. First time using mullet fillet so first few attempts were in-efficient slabs rather than some decent strips, but soon figured out what I was doing.

Right around dark I got my first customer - a nice 40cm+ tailor - was a little excited and forgot to measure it, but even without its head it was bigger than the 36cm tailor I picked up next. Neither was a challenge with my new surf rig, a few little runs but nothing that wasn't easily stopped. Was happy with the tailors but decided to try upsizing my baits to try and pick up the jewies instead.

Next was a 40cm flathead that was attempting to down a mullet slab as big as its head. He came in without much fuss and decided to keep him.

About 10 minutes later I had what I thought was a hit, but it seemed odd. As I brought it in I found I had a 46cm flathead that got foul hooked on his underside with two of the gang hooks - the three fish I had were enough for now so I sent him back.

Switched to the single 10/0 hook and tried using some larger slabs but at this point everything went quiet except for a few takes that I was unable to hook - figured it was tailor taking chunks out of the bait but missing the hook. The tide retreated fairly quickly and it turned dumpy out in front of where I was. I kept trying a few things even using the first tailors head as bait but had no sign of anything taking it on.

Called it a night about 9pm. Happy to take home a decent feed including one very nice tailor, plus learned a few things for my next jewie attempt.

post-33342-0-94146600-1398519296_thumb.jpg

post-33342-0-94063500-1398521658_thumb.jpg

Edited by SgtBundy

Thanks - I have been inspired since I saw a couple that some guys took from the surf at the entrance a few months back. Now that I have some suitable gear I can start working on it in earnest. The advice and information from this forum has been fantastic.

On a big shore dump don't be afraid to drop it in just behind, big lazy fish just waiting for what gets stirred up.

I had a few casts that I managed to get out just behind the break, but had no takers. Not sure if it was too late past the top of the tide by that time but I suppose you never know what might be cruising past.

When you are after a few tailor and you get the first one, bleed him into the bait bucket, his mates will go nuts.

I don't recommend bleeding a Jewie bait, but you need a few fresh bait for a long stay, they lose their allure after a while