Haweksbury - Jew attempt

nanman

Hi all,

Just a quick report on my outing yesterday. A mate and I decided to have a go for a jew for our very first times so the plan was to catch some livies before the tide turned and fish around some flatties etc for a while and anchor down for a jew attempt at the turn of the tide shortly after sunset.

We managaged to only get one livie in before we decided to head off to catch some flatties on the east side of dangar island. We anchored up and dropped couple of lines with prawns (gave up on catching nippers as I had no idea where to pump them and the tide was starting to run in). Few mins after dropping the lines I got my first hit but it wasnt massive but a keeper size flattie came to the surface but dropped it while I waited for the mate to get the net! Next it was a decent size, 32cm, bream that put up a hell of a fight using the current to its advantage before it was finally landed.

post-20168-0-50250800-1398592204_thumb.jpg

A little while later there was more interest in my rod so decided to give it a yank and wind in. It was getting bit dark at this time so as it came up to the surface I thought it was an eel as it looked twised but to our surprise it was two keeper flatties on my two hook paternoster rig.

post-20168-0-02294400-1398592250_thumb.jpg

The tide was about to turn so we headed of near the rail bridge and anchored up for a long haul. After few attempts at anchoring so that the boat would be in a decent position we set up the rigs. I set my rod with the livie and my mate with a frozen squid and waited sipping a coffee and muching on some snacks.

After a while my rod tip bent over and nothing thereafter. We concluded that the livie couldn't have put a bend on the rod so it had to be somthing large so waited very anxiously. Few mins later same thing happens, rod tip bends over an then nothing and again for the 3rd time. So I got the rod to my hand and decided to set the hook next time it pulled and so I did. It went crazy when I set the hook and started pulling drag as if it was hooked to a train on the bridge above. So I tigthend the drag a bit more and started to gain some line. About half way up another screeming run and SNAP... gutted and in disbelief what just happened I wound in the line to see the hook was gone. It looked like my knot had slipped. I had used a uni knot on my 40lb leader so I'm wonding if this was the right choice.

Now, could this have been a Jewie or somthing else? I guess we will never know but keen to go again for another attempt.

We didn't have anymore livies so had to settle for frozen squid and pilchard for rest of the night and we started pulling up cat fish and eels one after another for rest of the night so decided to quit around 11pm.

Although we were disappointed about the one that got away we were very satisfied with an awesome day out with plenty of action to talk about so will be planning another trip out there soon & hopefully with better luck to report.

Nans

Guest stephanb79

dont think it would have been a uni knot they hold pound to pound so if you have 20lbs it will hold 20lbs how did you do the uni knot ???

Good effort Nan's, and catching a big Jew is a patient mans game. It's sounds like you were using the right gear, in the right area, with the right bait (livie) at the right tide. Better luck next time!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks guys! I usually do the uni knot with 6 passes through the loop and it's never let me down before either so was quite surprised. Maybe it was something else like a nick in the line close to the hook that I hadn't spotted that gave in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good effort Nan's, and catching a big Jew is a patient mans game. It's sounds like you were using the right gear, in the right area, with the right bait (livie) at the right tide. Better luck next time!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie! Good to know I was doing the things!

Btw, thanks for all your advice for my visit to port stephens. As it turned out I didn't get too much time to fish with kids and family being too happy to just cruise around, do some tubing & even got to see dolphins not too far from the boat.

I did throw couple of hoop nets for crabs with mullet fillets but had no luck.

It's such an amazing place & had a great time even without much fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk