First beach adventure. Caught jaws... Jnr.

night_rider

So with my new department store 6000 reel rigged with 20lb Berkley mono i was ready for my first beach adventure and boy was I excited!

We started at about 445 and threw our ganged pilles just pass the break. It was quiet until the change of tide, my better half said she thought there was a fish on my big rod as it was tugging a little, I handed my small rod to her and reeled in a 45cm sambo.. Whoopa! My first beach fish.

Next thing I hear zzzzzzzzzzz and look over to see her jumping up and down and my little shimano sienna 2500 screaming and the 6" rod bent right over..

I left the sambo for a moment and ran over to reel what turned out to be a 30cm trevally.. What a fighter. I put him back in, slipped the sambo on Ice.. I know wrong way around... And baited both rods back up with out the now defrosted hawksbury squid.

By the time is rigged the whiting rig back up on the small rod I hear zzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and "fish on!!!!"

I handed the small rod over and pick up the big rod. Wow and was I on! This thing was running for New Zealand! I tighten the drag a little and tried to put some hurt on, wrong. It just pulled even harder now heading south. There was some serious weight in this fish.

I followed it down the beach a little and just under 15 minutes later of run after run, thinking this is it! My first beach jewie!

A 1.2m jaws Jnr poked his head out of the wash! Shark! I caught a shark! I was absolutely stoked. I said I would do a victory dance if I caught a shark on the way and not oh bit did I do the happy dance..

Let's just say I was jumping around like a mad man. Grabbed the pliers, cut the bottum hook off slipped it through, picked up the wee beastie for a quick few snaps and back into the drink she went.

Posted ImagePosted Image

What a great night! I roughly measured her against me and i think it was around 120cm. Not sure on weight..

I assume it's a school reef shark?

Anyway Off to get an alvey set up soon and pursue that silver ghost!

Thanks @fishingphase & @swordfisherman for the tips on set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers boys!

Krispy, it was a dark blue on top... Whalers are brown aren't they?

Might be a reef shark if it had a black tip on the dorsal fin but other than that im pretty sure its a whaler but i could be wrong.

Might be a reef shark if it had a black tip on the dorsal fin but other than that im pretty sure its a whaler but i could be wrong.

Yeah 100% it had a black tip on its rear tail tip.

In all honesty, apart from The guy in the grey suit, it was the most relaxing fishing session I've ever had. No snags, no one elbowing me on a wharf, no ferries. It was bliss.

Great way to start the beach Career Markey. This an impressive Noah to get in on a Kmart job. Usually those outfits would have shagged out on you while it was still in the breakers. Well done mate.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker

Great way to start the beach Career Markey. This an impressive Noah to get in on a Kmart job. Usually those outfits would have shagged out on you while it was still in the breakers. Well done mate.

Luc.

I got the "deluxe" reel ahahaha it's not too bad, 4+1 ball bearings with all alloy handle, body and spool... I think I'll get a bit of use out of it ;) it's all in the wrist right? Aha

Great first. Gotta love the beach at night. Now you've got the bug!

Try the salmon as a slab bait. I hope Mr Mulloway turns up soon.

Any chance of naming the beach?

It was up Avalon way Ryder ;)

I can only hope I can turn the sambo into a ghost, but hey, if I get another shark I'll be stoked!

Edited by Marky Wants to Fish