First legal catch

thirtyohsixer

Hi All

Well l have been fishing for about a year, and took the Easter break opportunity to try and catch my first "real fish". An entire week of going around Sydney areas and even a tinny day trip from Como marina, l came up with nothing.

My last day, Sunday morning, feeling a little defeated and weary, l caught my first fish that l could take home. Finally after a year of perfecting the art of catching fish the size of my palm, l can give up my reign of terror on the undersized and move up to mid sized category!!

Now l look forward to fishing even more!!lol

post-33810-0-25377200-1398776953_thumb.jpg

Well done mate!

Can I ask what weight of line you use down to your hook? Maybe your leader is a little heavy thus scaring many of the larger, smarter fish away? I've seen this problem with people starting out so many times.

The best part is you stuck to it and didn't give up!

I have many a fond memories of fishing from the Jetty that runs along side the baths there at Como.

Try late afternoon/early evening a few hours either side of a high tide from the end of the jetty.

Cast out towards the marina or moorings. Use light line, a very small sinker, a small baitkeeper hook and some chicken gut.

Leave a little slack in the line and they will virtually hook themselves.

You will catch some good sized bream.

Cheers

Jim

Congratulations on your catch! Hope it tasted as good as it looked.

Sounds really similar to my experience over Easter up and down the Georges River and Botany Bay except I didn't catch a thing on my last day... not even the usual palm-sized snapper or bream.

Keep up the good work and you'll be on to even bigger and better soon.

Top first post mate!

Great work and nice write up of your adventures too!

That's a quality bream and I hope they only get bigger for you now.

It won't be long before you move up to the massive sized category.

Keep it up.

Ian

How good is that feeling! I remember my first legal fish some 50 years ago.......many more for you ahead. You should feel good. I think that it's either in your DNA or not.....as you spent a year getting to this point, I suspect you have it......a lifetime of fun is ahead of you.

Steve

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

Well done mate!

Can I ask what weight of line you use down to your hook? Maybe your leader is a little heavy thus scaring many of the larger, smarter fish away? I've seen this problem with people starting out so many times.

Hi Linc,

I had 12lb line at the hook. And l think your right, l started with fairly heavy line when l first started, >20lb. and large hooks. That is until a friend told me to calm down and be a bit more realistic and go with lighter everything!! lol.

So far there has been nothing but immeasurable knowledge in these forums. Thanks heaps guys!!!!!!!!