Sabiki Rods

Linc

Have any raiders tried one of those hollow sabiki rods where you wind the jig up into the rod through the flared end? I'm thinking of getting one just to keep in the boat rigged with a sabiki for whenever the bait turns up, I'm sick of picking sabiki hooks out of the carpet... or my shoe... or anything that comes within a meter of the damn thing!

Hi Linc,

I have one.

I use it when the yakkas/slimeys are all fired up and leaping on the jigs.

Sometimes you have to bait the jigs up to get the yakkas to take them... seems to defeat the purpose a little I think and this is why many people just swear by a handline.

You know what yakkas are like, sometimes they are hesitant to take a bait... when they are like this I use a handline because you get a better feel.

When the baitfish start to get active I use the Sabiki and catch two or three or more at a time with no problems.

The fly's don't get caught in the carpet but they will rust pretty quickly if you don't give them a rinse as the rods hold the moisture in and creates a humid atmosphere.

Apparently the rods come either for an overhead or an eggbeater reel. The reel mount is closer to the entry point on the butt on the rod on the overhead model. This is the one I bought although i didn't know at the time. I just used a cheap 35 Diawa overhead.

Just like any other gear they are a great tool in the right circumstances but they are not ideal in all situations.

Personally, I wouldn't be without one... but I love my toys!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim,

Like you, I love fishing toys, hence the reason I came across these in my search for more toys. I usually use a light 1kg spin rod with a sabiki jig instead of a hand line, maybe I’ll give the handline a go before deciding on yet another rod, it seems everytime I buy a new rod it gives the Mrs a reason to buy a new handbag!

Just used 1 for 4 days on a recent trip to nz. They are very thick and hard to tell when u have a yakka on.... They also tangle up quite a fair bit. Id just stick to war u said a very light spin stick therefore you can feel more bites.

I still don't think you can beat a 3kg handline with one long-shank hook......much better feel of bites and less untangling. When you feel the bite, just let it go for a moment and then gently pull. Has worked for me for years. Have compared my technique with mates using the rigs, my way always seems to win. Oh and use grated potato as burley.

Tried this last weekend following your advice twin fisher and have to agree it was no less successful than a hand line and a lot less tangles. I'm just a beginner at this but for the rare occasion of getting 2 or 3 at a time I'll probably stick with the single hook approach.

......... SaltWaterDog

Don't waste your time and money on these... as stated above.. its stiffer than a 37kg game rod with zero feel!

To this the rods are way to heavy and too long!

Use it once... sold it for $20!

Hi Linc, no tuna oil required, in fact not a good idea. Used this off the rocks for many years and kept the yakkas in an inflatable swimming pool with aerator and than used to add Aspro soluble to keep them buzzing, In a live bait tank probably don't need the Aspro's but an overdose of carbs can make them sluggish (like us). But trust me grated spud really works and because it sinks quickly, the gulls don't get most of it.

Mate I've got one and if you live bait a lot, I definitely recommend getting one. After you've burlied and the yakkas are present, you don't need to feel anything. You just drop it down and by the time the sinker hits the ground, you'll have 3 yakkas on the line. So convenient and saves heaps of time and effort. Cant recommend it enough!