Eucumbene Report Easter to Anzac Weekend

Fished Eucumbene Dam from the 18th till the 26th of April fishing was hard.

Trolling averaged around 6 fish per day with 2 boats but putting in long hrs up to 12 hrs per day trolling mainly tassies and deep divers.

Somedays caught nothing.

No luck at Cobrabald, Buckenderra, Seven Gates, Frying pan or up the Portal.

Heard the brown trout had there first run up the river with the rain before Easter.

Some bait fishermen were doing well up towards the portal landbased in the evenings

Fishing best Adamidaby Bay and Springwood

Rainbows were full of the small lice mainly

Browns eating mainly yabbies

Best trout browns 66 cm weight 7.5 lbs on a Red Stukey.

post-12498-0-63284500-1399333550_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-18501600-1399333586_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-59299800-1399333613_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-27742900-1399333631_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-12742100-1399354693_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-25035400-1399354713_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-76994600-1399354760_thumb.jpg

Edited by HUNTRESS

• 2 weeks later...

nice fish mate -- we went into the high country fishing streams over easter - only little wigglers but fun on hopper patterns

can i ask you what colour were the lice? were they tinged orange or green? and have little black eyes? think thats the same food they call daphnia.

heard stories trout can be hard to crack em when they focussed on them, thats my next challenge on fly when i get my boat down there .. have a few interesting patterns to try out.

cheers

grant

Hey grant sounds like daphnia feeders very hard to tempt on a fly! I'm off to the river at

On this end! I got a lot of little ones including bows in the thredbo on stimmies early April! Well some o the dish there too guys. Nice precspawn fish good tucker unlike the ones already in the rivers which are ideally released

Yes Daphnia they are tiny and form a white slim in the gut, and when the rainbows are eating then they can be hard to catch. They also give the lake trout there orange colour flesh as well as other crustations (yabbies).

post-12498-0-47163200-1400042954_thumb.jpg

post-12498-0-62958800-1400042987_thumb.jpg

Hey grant sounds like daphnia feeders very hard to tempt on a fly! I'm off to the river at

On this end! I got a lot of little ones including bows in the thredbo on stimmies early April! Well some o the dish there too guys. Nice precspawn fish good tucker unlike the ones already in the rivers which are ideally released

yeah im looking to target them in boat - locate on sounder and fish the edges of the ' swarm ' .. . your right it seems to be a reason why you dont catch in lakes some times - with such a huge volume of food the trout get clued into them and wont eat anything without a hint of being daphnia - there are some really creative pattern out there to imitate a cluster of them -- natural materials like golden pheasant tip wound like a hackle plastic creations made by multiple loops on mono bound to a hook with dobs of the right coloured nail polish on them, then there is the simple right coloured very fuzzy woolly buggers -- get the colour right and fish the right depth is the key .. ( apparently lol .. all sounds so easy reading it on the net)

'

im off to jindy this weekend .. home brew straight from the temprite taps and trout fishing ( my bro owns the shop in canberra so his beer is amazing) .. can't wait.. probably wont catch more than a slight hangover, but if i get some fish as nice as HUNTRESS' catch i will definately put up a report

tight lines !

grant