Caught squid on chicken

Nas

Was fishing botany bay late at night yesterday targeting bream and jewies and I started reeling in squid stuck on my chicken bait. They were small squid but they kept coming up one after the other, but the problem is they kept letting go as I tried to land them. Has this ever happened to anyone before? They would have been great live bait for jewies thats for sure. No jewies yet, but some legal bream, octopus and plenty of big eels. Was great fun though!

Have had it happen a lot particularly offshore snapper fishing. If you put a squid jig or a whole fish on a squid jag hook and float out the back under a bobby cork they will often grab that after letting go of the bait or in some cases their mate that followed him up that you haven't seen will grab it.

Edited by boattart

Guest Aussie007

Nas thats a first mate but more and more fisho's are using chicken as bait its gun bait for legal size flatties in the bay, have never heard of a squid taking chicken tho

Yeah gazza, it is a mad bait especially in botany bay, we've caught almost everything on it. But its always good to have some pillies with you just in case the fish aren't interested in the chicken at the time.

Guest Aussie007

Yeah gazza, it is a mad bait especially in botany bay, we've caught almost everything on it. But its always good to have some pillies with you just in case the fish aren't interested in the chicken at the time.

i agree we have caught heaps of whiting and travally and a lot of other fish, it sure out fishes prawns for the flatties and a couple chicken breast seem to last us all day

I was out the front of palm beach on tuesday near the weed beds hoping for something decent. Had a squid head out that came from a 37cm squid(hood length). Saw the line load up and start pulsing. Got it to the boat and chewing at it was the largest squid I have seen from palmy! Easily a 50cm hood. Was an absolute monster! Unfortunately he wasn't interested in a 3.5 jig and couldnt hook him on either of the 7/0 hooks. Second time I have had squid trying to eat squid.