Calculating weight on tow ball

Paikea

.As part of tinkering with the trailer for my Tournament (Redco Re-180T) I thought that I should check the weight on the tow ball and ensure that it is within required limits.

I bought a scale from Redco ($55.00) to check it. The instructions on the side of the box recommend that the weight on the tow ball should be 10% of the gross weight of the rig.

Adding up the weight of the boat, motor, trailer, full load of fuel and gear comes to 3123 Kg. Now that is a whole lot more than I thought it would be. (Boat 750 Kg, Motor 195 Kg, Battery 35 Kg, Fuel 128 Kg, Trailer 1990 KG, Gear say 25 Kg )

Given these weights and the scale instructions the weight on the tow ball should be around 315 Kg which seems an awful lot.

Question for Huey and anyone else that is qualified to advise on this big safety issue. Is the above process for calculating the weight on a tow ball correct ? If so, will that weight on the back of my Pajero cause any problems in terms of light steering or other issues and should I be thinking of using a load sharing system such as used on caravans?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Paikea

I'd be double checking your bare trailer weight to start with. My dual axle trailer for a 27ft boat came in at just under 700kg and with boat and twin 150hp Mercury Verados was around 3700kg all up.

What vehicle do you use to tow that? 3.7 tonne is an awkward weight...

My trailer was oversize not compliant and the boat not really a trailer boat by Aussie standards. I basically bought the trailer in as a mobile hardstand as in was cheaper than craning and having cradles built and then scrapped it. The boat is now moored.

Edited by boattart

The compliance plate on the trailer states 199 Kg but there is a further 0 stamped there that make it look like 1990 Kg. Does 199 Kg sound more probable for a dual axle trailer?

Cheers

Paikea

1990 sounds well over but 199 sounds a bit light. It should have a weight on your rego papers I think.

The rego papers say Tare Weight 480 Kg and GVM 1990. What is GVM?

I assume that the Tare Weight means the weight of the trailer which means that my rig would total 1613 Kg which sounds more realistic. That would mean 161 Kg on the ball?

Cheers

Paikea

GVM is Gross Vehicle Weight. It refers to the weight the trailer can legally carry. Or at least that's my understanding of it. 480kg sounds much closer to the mark.

Edited by boattart

Sounds more like your weight on tow ball should be a 160 kg.

Cheers Blood Knot

Thanks Blood Knot. The weight on the ball is a lot more than I would have thought, but the 10% loading must have a sound basis.

Cheers

Paikea

You can go a bit less than 10% ie 7 to 8%. You should also check the towball rating of you vehicle as you don't want to

exceed that. Weight distribution systems such as torsion bars are good but will interfere with the operation of mechanical

overide brakes. You can look at getting air bags for your rear suspension if you find it sags to much. Though if you are just

towing to the local ramp the Pajero should do it easily without modifications.

Guest Aussie007

check your tow ball and towbar ratings the tow ball will say something 1500/80 as an example that means it can tow 1500kg and carry 80kg on the ball your tow bar will have a similar rating it'll be stamped into the metal or have a plate

check your tow ball and towbar ratings the tow ball will say something 1500/80 as an example that means it can tow 1500kg and carry 80kg on the ball your tow bar will have a similar rating it'll be stamped into the metal or have a plate

The sticker on the tongue has the following info:

Max Towbar Capacity 3000 KG

Max Towball download 180 KG

(With Optional Download).

Max Towbar Capacity 2500 KG

Max Towball download 250 KG

I don't know what they mean by "Optional Download" but evident that the first values are less than 10% download on the Towball.

I weighed the download today, following are pics of the result.

Weight taken on the scale.

Weight is less than the lowest amount on the scale.

Allowing similar interval calibration below the 100 KG mark suggests that the weight on my trailer Towball could be as low as 40 KG

I can move the boat forward on the Trailer (max 150 mm) before the boat comes off the rear roller which is unlikely to result in the weight on the Towball getting anywhere near 10 % of the total weight of the rig (160 KG)

So, what do I do now? Move the boat as far forward as I can and put up with the reduced weight on the Towball? Or is something more radical required?

I think that we have opened a right can of worms here.

I also bought rated Oxbow shackles from Whitworths. The max dia that will fit through the holes in the bar is 3/8 inch hence I bought 3/8 inch shackles. They are rated at 1000 KG each hence the total for two chains is 2000KG which should be more than enough for the rig at 1600 KG.

I wonder how many trailers are running around with insufficient weight on the Towball and how that is affecting the towing?

I will be interested in any feedback from Raiders.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

u can buy cheap body weighing scales from ebay think they go up to 200kg, i had a boat one time it would have had around 2kg's on the ball no way of moving the boat forward and going down the M5 or F3 she would sway left and right at anything over 80kph

i had another boat that would have had over 150kg's on the ball it was a big boat on a small trailer and when towing home it would sway again at anything over 80kph i sold that boat to a guy in melbourne so would have been one heck of a drive home doing 80kph

I just checked the trailer again and found that I can move the dual axle assembly back which would increase the weight on the Towball. However due to the location of the welded on RHS cradles that hold the rollers the minimum that I can move the assembly is around 100mm.

Is there any limit to the distance between the Towball and the centre line of the dual wheel assembly or doesn't that matter? Also is there an easy way of working out how much added weight will be placed on the Towball for every 100mm movement of the axle assembly?

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

I contacted the trailer manufacturer (Redco) who was very helpful, suggested that a minimum 100 Kg download on the Towball would be aok. Also confirmed that I can move the wheel assembly back to increase the weight.

Given that this will require the boat to be removed from the trailer I need someone within close proximity of a ramp to move the wheel assembly, adjust the rollers and fit a new (SS) override brake cable.

Question for Huey, as you appear to be the agent for Redco can you do this job for me and if so, how long would it take and approximate costs? As I am located a long way from you I need this info before deciding which/where to go.

Thanks

Paikea

I contacted the trailer manufacturer (Redco) who was very helpful, suggested that a minimum 100 Kg download on the Towball would be aok. Also confirmed that I can move the wheel assembly back to increase the weight.

Given that this will require the boat to be removed from the trailer I need someone within close proximity of a ramp to move the wheel assembly, adjust the rollers and fit a new (SS) override brake cable.

Question for Huey, as you appear to be the agent for Redco can you do this job for me and if so, how long would it take and approximate costs? As I am located a long way from you I need this info before deciding which/where to go.

Thanks

Paikea

Paikea,

I adjusted the trailer for my old 4m Stacer myself. The neighbour across the road provided his front lawn and some old tyres and I just drove the trailer out from under it. We moved the axle assembly to adjust the towball weight and I had to adjust the height of the rollers as well as they were too low. WIth a trolley jack and jack stands it was a pretty simple process. With the new Stacer (which I didn't buy from Huey, sorry, Huey, no disrespect, just went local) I am thinking of moving the axle assembly forward slightly as I suspect it is a trifle heavy over the ball (maybe I have too much stuff stored up front!). I basically can't lift the trailer off the towball myself - I have to wind up the jockey wheel to do so and it is a bitch to move around!

Good luck.

Baz

Guest Aussie007

Paikea, can u jack up each back corner and use car stands than you should be able to move the axle and spring holders back, that wy u dont have to remove the boat

Edited by gazza

Thanks Berley and Gazza, if I was a bit younger than my 75 years and not recovering from some fairly serious medical issues I would certainly do it as you have suggested, but not as good as I once was.

Also Mrs Paikea has ruled that I am not to do the job but to get someone who knows the trailer to take care of it. Love it when she suggest that I spend some of our money on my gear. Hence my call to Huey.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

Thanks Berley and Gazza, if I was a bit younger than my 75 years and not recovering from some fairly serious medical issues I would certainly do it as you have suggested, but not as good as I once was.

Also Mrs Paikea has ruled that I am not to do the job but to get someone who knows the trailer to take care of it. Love it when she suggest that I spend some of our money on my gear. Hence my call to Huey.

Cheers

Paikea

good idea mate let us know how it goes

.As part of tinkering with the trailer for my Tournament (Redco Re-180T) I thought that I should check the weight on the tow ball and ensure that it is within required limits.

I bought a scale from Redco ($55.00) to check it. The instructions on the side of the box recommend that the weight on the tow ball should be 10% of the gross weight of the rig.

Adding up the weight of the boat, motor, trailer, full load of fuel and gear comes to 3123 Kg. Now that is a whole lot more than I thought it would be. (Boat 750 Kg, Motor 195 Kg, Battery 35 Kg, Fuel 128 Kg, Trailer 1990 KG, Gear say 25 Kg )

Given these weights and the scale instructions the weight on the tow ball should be around 315 Kg which seems an awful lot.

Question for Huey and anyone else that is qualified to advise on this big safety issue. Is the above process for calculating the weight on a tow ball correct ? If so, will that weight on the back of my Pajero cause any problems in terms of light steering or other issues and should I be thinking of using a load sharing system such as used on caravans?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Paikea

I would be checking your trailer wieght as well. I have a 4.7m fiberglass with a 90 hp mercury and 100lt of fuel and the whole lot with trailer is only 1050kg's