Mixed Bag at Palm Beach

joking fish

It was another sublime day to out on the water. I travelled to the Northern Beaches hoping to fish at the Arms. It was to no avail. There was a great big barge parked at the wharf. I decided to go to plan B and drove to Palm Beach. Armed with Pilchards and size 2/0 gang hooks I threw some bait out into the drink around about late afternoon. I lost a massive Australian Salmon as I was trying to pull it out of the water. There was a crowd of people boarding the ferry that gasped when they heard the snap and the splash of the 3 kg fish as it hit the water. It was probably my fault as the mono had been exposed to the sunlight for far too long. I've been told excessive UV exposure causes nylon to fray. It was close to one of the biggest Australian Salmon I have ever hooked. Around the 60-65cm mark.

The day got better and better. I scored a nice 36cm Chopper Tailor. The first time I have ever caught a legal Tailor at Palm Beach. I landed a 31cm Trevally and a 31 cm Snapper. It was the first time I ever caught a legal red at this spot. The most exciting part was the fish I lost. Massive head shakes and line peeling action. My guess was there was some much bigger reds out there. Some of these fish were unstoppable and easily dusted me on light gear. Still, 3 fish for the table isn't a bad result and I have plenty of stories to tell about the big mother lovers that got away.

post-16627-0-07126100-1399953929_thumb.jpg

post-16627-0-82911600-1399953956_thumb.jpg

Very nice mate! Good to see the salmon around! Shame about losing the big one but least you got it on the hooks!

Do you fish the pillies unweighted?

Keep it up

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Very nice mate! Good to see the salmon around! Shame about losing the big one but least you got it on the hooks!

Do you fish the pillies unweighted?

Keep it up

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I usually fish with 2 or 3 very small ball sinkers or 1 slightly bigger sinker. I find that with most jetties you need to cast out into middle ground and it holds the bottom. I use about 5-6kg line with a 20lb leader. I still get smoked by big fish but its great fun trying to stop them.

Nice catch there and that lost salmon would of been disappointing

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Strangely not as disappointing as you might think...........I was humbled to go one on one with the great one as Jason Kennedy would say. I've caught many Australian Salmon over the years. Also I had no net, and landing a big fish at that wharf is extremely difficult. Given the fact that my line was only about 3-4kg I was expecting the worst and in the end I am glad I got a good look at that magnificent fish.