Beach jewfish attempt #3056

krause

Looking to head out onto a southcoast beach chasing jews yet again. However, i am purely commiting to targeting jewfish, where as normally there is a rod that gets left out with a bigger bait whilst i bugger around with salmon and other fish. So, im now planning on collecting some bait (fresh is the goal). I know I can reliably get some yakka at wollongong harbour, and will do so. Then there is the matter of squid. I know that i can find them at various points along the coast, but will they be reliable during the day? can you catch them at 2.00pm or tht sort of time? Or should I just buy some fresh squid off a trawler or something of those likes? And the last bait will hopefully be some tailor or whiting cought on the night.

So can i catch shid in the daylight, and does anyone know a more productive way to cath the yakka at WHarbor (if youve tried youll know they are well trainded and bloody hard to get)

Cheers

I wouldn' t worry too much about the yakka's and squid if your going in off the beach.

Best baits by a long shot are fresh mullet slabs for fresh tailor fillets and salmon fillets

If you can get live tailer over 30cms great live bait

Hmmmm very interesting, thanks for the intel. Mabey i will stay clear of the yakka and spend the day fishing for the other speices, Itll probably be easier!!! A quick question on live baiting? How? Do you cast it or let it free swim? If it needs casting then ill have to keep to the smaller baits. Either way ill see how I go I guess! And ill be praying to the fishing gods!!!!!

Hmmmm very interesting, thanks for the intel. Mabey i will stay clear of the yakka and spend the day fishing for the other speices, Itll probably be easier!!! A quick question on live baiting? How? Do you cast it or let it free swim? If it needs casting then ill have to keep to the smaller baits. Either way ill see how I go I guess! And ill be praying to the fishing gods!!!!!

For livebaiting run them on a twin hook 6/0 or 7/0 either fixed or sliding snelled. Bottom hooked through the nose, top hook just under the skin behind the dorsal, 1m trace to a good quality swivel. Just open the bale arm and let the swim out but keep a little pressure on them by letting the line run out between you fingers. This stops it coming off the from of the spool in big loops.

I run livies on a FSU 4120 custom with an ABU 7000 or a FSU 6144 with a Shimano Speedmaster IV which i can just knock into freespool and let them run out on the ratchet

Edited by Crossfire63

That is a really good idea! - You could cast a 200 gram pyramid sinker half way to new zealand and have a livie swiming up and down the length of the line!

Very cool idea

The trouble with sliders is they can only swim in a straight line

No luck, but given this was my first leggit/serious attempt at beach jewfishing im not heart broken. Used yakka and tailor as bait, even tried slide fishing a live yakka. Couldnt get the slider component so I improvised with a split ring. Worked just as well. However the live bait wasnt touched.

I had a few of the big baits get hit, but by sharks or big tailor, as they were cut clean in half (one bite, not by pickers). A few more baits moved about. Couldnt set hooks though. One question I will ask is what would 'suck' on the bait. Something was tugging quite agressively on the tailor frame which had two 6/0 live bait hook in it. However everytime I tried to set the hook nothing happened? Mabey a big ray? The bait was untouched on retreival every time, as in not a scratch... mabey bigger hooks are needed, there wasnt much exposed hook.

Either way, it was a good night for it, very calm, good to see different bites and such. All good fun/learning, cheers for the advise

The baits bitten in half were whole yakka that got the head bitten off/in half. Hard to gang hook them because of there size.

The other bait was a headless tailor frame, about 40cm in length, with a half fillet still attatched. It was definitely being pulled on, not buy waves or pickers. It was a very deliberate and aggressive tugg, but each time I brought it in there was not a scratch. Hence I use the word 'suck'. Very odd. It speed when the tailor found the bait. It didn't last long after that, haha

I believe we ended up at thiroul? Or corrimal? South of the pool

I'll be trying out that way soonish. If you're keen for a session drop me a pm.

Jews are something I am yet to score from the beach or anywhere fir that matter but locals say now is the time for the beaches you mentioned. They are also in the port harbour.

Big gang hooks it is! Might try i squid jig + kakka if i notice it again. If it was squid it was a seriously sized one!!!

Yer, the blokes down south are out on the beaches in droves, allways chasing them. Howver Im yet to see anyone catch one? Apparently the harbour is good for them, though I have never tried. Its always poplar and i like to have room to cast about a bit. One day ill get down there.

All i can say is get there early and take a chair! Goodluck

Well, a few more attempts, and some good salmon (new PB of 70, yay!) but no more the wiser on jews. I am comfortated that im always part of a crowd, but no one else catches either! New question, I was using a butterflied yakka (nothing else to use as bait) with two 6/0 snelled suicide hooks. I cast out into a good deep gutter, instantly hit, but it didnt pull, it almost shook the bait? It felt like when a tailor jumps and shakes its head, just it lasted much longer. Tried to set the hook and nothing happened... This is just another WTF was that question, bought to you by Krause! :biggrinthumb:

Cheers.

(PS. anyone else had any luck?)

I have been out a few times mostly at Narrabeen (as per my reports) but no luck so far - seems I pick the right time and tide with the wrong weather, or the wrong moon, or simply can't get away when the times are perfect :)

Similarly I see many others seem to think its a good time to be out but no-one is hooking up. Not sure if its just a quiet patch coming into winter or if the fish are confused by the warmer temps at this time of year. Last few trips I was hoping for at least some Salmon or Tailor while I was out for Jewies but not even a touch.

I think I had a similar take the other week when I think I was getting hit by a small shark - would grab the bait, take weight but could not set the hook (same two hook rig).

Definitely an odd bite, still can't work it out.

And it's quite down south (according the fishermen I meet), so whilst the trailer might not be helping, I think something more arbitrary is at fault