what fish is this?

Lotez

G'day Raiders,

I got this today just near the spit. Can anyone help identify it? I thought it was a Frigate but hasn't seen any pics online where they have stripes like this.

When I pulled him up a few of his buddies were following him.

Cheers,

Lotez

post-23039-0-82564600-1400312428_thumb.jpg

Did you keep it?

Cooking Watson's Leaping Bonito:

Usually sold whole, though fishmongers will fillet it upon request; also sometimes available as sashimi. In whole fish look for lustrous skin, firm flesh, and a pleasant, fresh sea smell; flesh should be pale reddish (pale pink to white in Leaping Bonito), firm, lustrous and moist without any dull brown markings or oozing water. Always buy sashimi-grade fish if it is to be served raw or rare. Pan-fry, bake, grill, barbecue, smoke, raw (sashimi), pickle.

... Steve

I took the fillets off and diced them up for bait. I added them to my bucket if salted slimeys so it should last well. The flesh looked great and I would have loved to have tried some sashimi if I had been confident of what it was. It was really dark meat like a tuna, darker than a regular bonito. I saw a snall king come through my burley trail a short while after. He was picking around for about 20mins eating everything that didn't have a hook in it. I tried everything - jigs, SPs, halcos, baits even the 6lb handline with a chunk of the burley but I couldn't fool him!

great day on the water though. A few good size trevs and a 27cm bream that all went back for another day.

Cheers Steve. I meant it looked dark in a good way, like yellow fin tuna etc :-)

I think it would have actually been pretty good eating. I'll def give it a go if I get the opportunity again. Maybe I should dig a couple of bits out of my salty bait box now and give it a go haha!

Nice write up. I'm all too familiar with hook dodging fish. Shame the meat looked so dark. The page I found indicated a lighter meat. At least it's good free bait.

Tight lines.

... Steve

Definitely was darker than normal bonito. Like said above looks yellow fin tunaish.. They don't taste as nice as regular bonito, there a lot stronger and have that real "fishy" taste.

Edited by Mr. Fish

Caught it from a boat. Must have been about 9am last Saturday.

Was there again this weekend and there were a few bream and pretty decent trevally (around 40cm) and a 35cm Tailor.

I even saw what I am calling the same rat that I mentioned earlier hanging around my engine - I still couldn't entice him to take a hook though :-(