Fishing for mullet

Howdoweplaythis

There are heaps of mullet in Narra lake at the moment. I can see big schools of them on the surface and occasionally they leap out of the water. I know you can catch poddy mullet with traps, but I want to hook onto some of the bigger models for some fun, and for bait on the beach.

I brought some bread with me today. I berleyed up and fished with it under a float for no luck. I tried unweighted pieces for nada. I can see them swimming past my bread berley and bait and ignoring it.

So i'm left a bit confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Are they simply not feeding or am i doing something wrong?

I fished the Wonny for bream a few weeks back with nippers and all i got was a couple of undersized mullet.

I went out the next morning armed with float, bread, nippers and breadcrumbs aiming for more mullet.

I came home with six bream.

Typical

Dave

Bread and/or dough under a float (about 2 foot under).

Worked for me in Macquarie riverlet and I pulled in 55 cm models

As mentioned above they sometimes go into a state of ignoring food and nothing will get them.....

HINT

When you catch them do not keep them alive in your bucket near the shore.....cause the biggest one you caught will jump straight back out of your bucket and land back in the riverlet!

Good luck

Hello the bigger mullet, Yes there harder to catch , In the rivers for example like Georges river, on a rising tide is better, Under a float with bread. In the ocean there a lot harder I find, I cant say i have ever caught a big one in the ocean. The big mullet that I have seen feeding in shallow water in the Georges river were feeding against concrete on green slime, These bigger fish are very shy, but not on a rising tide, specially on or close to full tide.

Mullet are impossible to catch when in this state I've tried for days with every thing they won't touch it

How do I know when they're in their normal state? Will bread under a float with berley normally catch them?

I think they are just concentrating on breeding not feeding.

I was thinking that too. I always thought when they jump out of the water they're chasing food on the surface.

In the river system like the Georges river, As the tide rises and is at its end and the water peaks , The mullet start to peak out you throw a slice of bread in and you can watch them feed on it. That's why I like to fish for them in a river system were its slow water tide rise. Mullet traps can only be so big legally, So this means you will be only get a certain size in a certain trap.

At our marina in Pittwater there are the biggest mullet I have ever seen in schools swimming around the berths. When I was a kid we used to get jag hooks and cast into them and then strike. They were all foul booked and a mongrel to bring in. That was at picnic point. Many years ago I assure you.