Another plastics arvo and new species

W4z

Hey Fellas,

I was supposed to go Trout fishing last weekend but had a last minute invite on my mates new boat to chase some kings so couldn't resist the offer. Turned out we had engine problems and didn't make it out of Botany Bay on Sunday morning. Limped around on one engine and still managed a Mac Tuna and had a couple of triple hookups of Tailor.

Anyway as the day didn't turn out as planned a mate and I headed to one of my spots to flick some plastics around. The trusty Squidgy Wrigglers did the trick again and I landed my first legal Blackfish. Pretty happy about that. Right on dusk I caught a 42cm Pike, a new species for me. I had heard they are stinky and no good to eat but I'll try anything once to see for my self. Washed it down and filleted it and it tasted great. Also caught an octopus by hand just for the fun of it. Was a good afternoon.

post-33500-0-08509700-1400746564_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-84210200-1400746624_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-11326300-1400746670_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-77739800-1400746742_thumb.jpg

I'm with you mate, try any fish once, don't believe the critics until you do. Salmon, Tailor etc, all can taste good if filleted and eaten on the day of capture.. Pike I haven't tried though as they just smell like shyte! Might have to give one a go next time.

Actually it was the first time I've eaten tailor also. The first few bites of tailor brought back strong memories of when I was younger and didn't like fish, but after that I suppose I got more used to the flavour then didn't mind it. My missus really enjoyed the tailor and told me I have to keep them in the future haha

Edited by W4z

Did you bleed the tailor as soon as you caught it? Absolute must in my opinion. They're definitely no whiting! Great for thai fish cakes, their oiley flesh holds shape well

Actually it was the first time I've eaten tailor also. The first few bites of tailor brought back strong memories of when I was younger and didn't like fish, but after that I suppose I got more used to the flavour then didn't mind it. My missus really enjoyed the tailor and told me I have to keep them in the future haha