Long term layup

Twinfisher 4.9

Hi Raiders, in need of advice...... I'm heading overseas for possibly up to 4 years. I have a 90hp Honda, 3 years old. It will be stored in a secure location but cannot ask the the owners of the property to start it up every month. What is the best way of storing a 4 stroke for a long period (it will still be on the stern of the boat) and what needs to be done before hand?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

Guest Aussie007

i would give it a nice flush, fog the engine with fogging oil, give it a full service including your gearbox oil, have seen a old engine put away for around 4-5 years had salt water leaking into the gearbox before it was stored it eventually dryied up and crystalized than split the gearbox open

Thank you Gazza, will follow that advice. Have done some checking on Fogging Oil - seems to be different opinions though will follow up. Any idea about fuel in the tanks - drain them or use a fuel stabiliser? I suspect that draining would be the way to go - 4 years is a long time for fuel.

Steve

Drain all fuel including emptying the carb bowls ( unless of course it's injection) the gum from the fuel evaporating in the cards will probably be a problem ( this has been a problem for me with bikes left in storage) . I've read of filling the engine up with oil but don't have 1st hand experience sorry.

... Steve

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Guest Aussie007

Thank you Gazza, will follow that advice. Have done some checking on Fogging Oil - seems to be different opinions though will follow up. Any idea about fuel in the tanks - drain them or use a fuel stabiliser? I suspect that draining would be the way to go - 4 years is a long time for fuel.

Steve

i havent looking into fuel stabilizers much but have noted if u add double the recommended amount of sta-bil to your fuel its good for 2 years, i would just empty the tank and reful with fresh stuff when u return unless fuel goes up a $1 a litre while your gone lol