Hit the rocks again for some Drummer

Mousse

I normally fish off the rocks in a spot which is a bit sheltered, so even when the swell is up its not too bad. But the swell was pretty low on Thursday, so I decided to fish off a ledge which is usually a bit hairy - but I knew held some beasts.

I had a bit of Cunje from my last outing, and I got to the spot around 6 am. Burleyed up with some soaked bread, and fishing with a small sinker straight down to hook. I was casting into a pretty narrow gutter to my right which was very rocky, so I was snagging up quite often but I persisted as I was getting some serious hits before I got snagged.

Before long I managed to hook up, and the pulsing downward lunges told me I was on to something good! I thought I had him but as I got him close to the ledge he made one more powerful lunge and busted me off! Would've been a good pig for sure.

I kept persisting and then I got hit again. This time I managed to steer him a little further away from the ledge and landed him. It was a beast...50cm and fat as a football. Gave one he'll of a fight.

I managed to land another high 30cms and got busted off again before I packed it in. Great fun.

post-18191-14009306662989_thumb.jpg

post-18191-14009306842253_thumb.jpg

post-18191-14009306996403_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Mousse

Cheers guys.

I've pretty much only been fishing for drummer over the last couple of years.

Caught plenty in the 35cm to 45cm mark..but only two or three around 50cm.

I couldn't imagine the fight one bigger than that would take to land.

Not bored of it yet! Still dreaming for that mid 50cm to 60cm model.

your face in that photo is priceless, looks like you had the fight of your life.

You must have gained some good experience and tips if you have been targeting them for two years.

I have only just started with them this year and so far I have been getting busted more often than not but that only makes it more fun.

I take it you don't use a float or bobby cork?

Haha. .bit of tiredness mixed up with looking into the sun and general ugliness!

I never use a float. Just small sinker straight down to hook

Sounds like great fun and a pair of cracking fish to boot. Out of curiosity, do drummer make good table fish?

Mate they are awesome to eat. Clean the black stomach lining out when gutting.

Usually I just shallow fry the fillets for a minute each side, then finish up under the grill for a few minutes more.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate they are awesome to eat. Clean the black stomach lining out when gutting.

Usually I just shallow fry the fillets for a minute each side, then finish up under the grill for a few minutes more.

Hey mousse, what sort of outfit do you run?

Beast pig btw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey mousse, what sort of outfit do you run?

Beast pig btw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi mate,

I use an Alvey 650 and 13' Beachmaster rod. Anywhere between 15 pound and 30 pound Schneider mono, depending on the conditions. Always running sinker right down to hook.

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday was a cracking day...

Great conditions and plenty of bites

Landed a a good 48cm pig and a few pan size keepers.

I met a nice guy on the rocks who was fishing for blackies, and he'd never tried drummer on the plate before, so I traded him one of my pigs for one of his blackies.

All caught using Cunje

post-18191-14033022085704_thumb.jpg

post-18191-14033022216304_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk