Rainbows and Sunshine

W4z

I arrived at the spot late in the afternoon on Saturday. Hoping to catch a trout from a stream one more time before the season closes. I rushed about getting ready while the sun dipped behind the hills. The weather was great cool and a little overcast and the Coxes River was flowing nicely. Knowing I didn't have a lot of time before sunset I thought I'd try some spinners first. I really wanted to catch a fish on my fly rod but I thought I'd leave that until the next day. I'd bought some Mepps spinners a few days before as I'd heard they are great.

My first cast with a yellow coloured spinner must have almost landed on top of a fish! The shadow of a trout darted out from under the splash of the lure and took of. I was able to see a few fish but none were showing any interest in my spinners. I tried a few different pools, then changed to the trusty green and black Celta. No luck either. Changed again to a yellow and black Celta, the one that was catching in this location last time. I had one hook up. A small trout. It was beautiful to watch as the trout cut across the stream, pulling on the line, then with one large jump it threw the lure from its mouth. It was one of those moments where I could just appreciate the fish doing what it does without any disappointment about loosing it.

Light was fading and I could see a few rises. I cast my spinners towards them but still nothing. I realised it was time for a change and I had just one fly with me, a black beadheaded nymph that I had tied myself. It had been a goal of mine to catch a fish on a fly that I had tied myself for a while. So I tied it on and slipped a football indicator about 200mm above it.

I cast towards where I had seen a couple of rises and after a few casts I saw the indicator dip just slightly. Strike and I'm on! Just a small fish but still a great feeling. I can't explain how but somehow the fish was hooked through the nose.

I moved upstream to where I had seen another rise. Just as I was casting I saw a bit of movement so aimed for that spot. The nymph drifted down stream for just a few seconds when I saw a flash of silver and the indicator dipped below. I struck and felt the weight of a good fish... but then it was gone.

I kept casting in the same spot not ready to loose hope just yet. Wondering if the fish would go for the fly again. After 6 or 7 casts the indicator stopped and dipped again. I struck and this time it was good. My heart started beating hard as the trout bolted upstream. It was pulling line and running around a bend in the stream that was full of branches. I was very close to jumping in the river to try to pull the trout clear of the branches. I held back from jumping in to see what would happen first. I kept the pressure on and suddenly I was winding as fast as I could to keep the line taut as the trout swam back downstream and almost straight past me. I got it closer to the bank as it wore out. Now I started to panic a bit wondering if my 6lb line could lift it one foot up onto the bank. I grabbed the line and tried to drag it up when it snapped. The fish dropped back down into the water, stunned and exhausted it stayed still for a moment. Enough for me to reach down and snatch it out of the water and bring it up onto the bank. My heart was pumping and I was over the moon. A PB Rainbow for me, 41cm. It's no trophy, but still an unforgettable experience.

I fell asleep in my swag that night to the sound of the river flowing along and memories of a great fight.

Sunday was to be my day catching a fish on fly. The sun was bright when it rose and the day grew very warm. Unfortunately it was not to be. I spent all morning trying but didn't get a look at. I didn't even see a fish. It was still good practice casting and using the roll cast that Swordfisherman taught me. Next time I may have to make myself focus even more on the fly rod.

Thanks for reading,

Waz

post-33500-0-24445200-1401011047_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-41880800-1401011071_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-06641300-1401011099_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-91399700-1401011741_thumb.jpg

Great effort Waz! Mate 42cm bow on the stream is a great fish, my biggest bow on a stream is only mid 30s... Dams/lakes are a different story. They generally aren't very big in the rivers. You did an awesome job. Keep at the fly too mate, once you start catching fish on it you will be addicted to it just as much if not more than the spin gear. They are awesome fun and I personally can not get enough. I play with mine in the salt now too. Keep it up bud.

Luc.

Awesome report mate great read! Those are some beautiful fish! Know what you mean about not even worrying about losing the fish once you've managed to hook it and see it do its thing :) keep it up mate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replys.

Sensational report and I am glad you could utilise the roll cast with a degree of success.

That's a fine PB as well....congrats

Regards Swordfisherman

Your right - a degree of success. I had quite a few tangles from the less successful attempts haha

Great effort Waz! Mate 42cm bow on the stream is a great fish, my biggest bow on a stream is only mid 30s... Dams/lakes are a different story. They generally aren't very big in the rivers. You did an awesome job. Keep at the fly too mate, once you start catching fish on it you will be addicted to it just as much if not more than the spin gear. They are awesome fun and I personally can not get enough. I play with mine in the salt now too. Keep it up bud.

Luc.

Thanks mate. I've spent a bit of time fishing in dams but haven't yet caught a fish from one. Even wet and dry flies in a few lakes in tassie with no luck. Is there anything to look for when fishing a lake? Any type of structure that often holds fish?

Not sure if you guys have seen this but it's an awesome video of a guy fly fishing around tassie.

Edit - link doesn't seem to work. Try cut and paste is without the bracket I'll put in front.

Damn still won't work

http://vimeo.com/m/93055363

Edited by W4z

Yeah bud, look for drop offs, weed beds, fallen trees, standing trees in the water and most importantly wear polarized lenses as they often cruise in the open too. Once you find them just do your best to replicate whatever is hatching or bait fish in the area. Keep that in mind and it will be no time until you are on to fish. :)