Milson's Point

adamski

Hey folks,

Tried Milson's Point today for a change. Arrived just before the top of the tide but it was quite busy and I didn't want to look like a fool armed with my light spinning rod, running sinker rig and chicken with garlic in front of all these guys with heavy duty bait casters and pilchards. So I decided to set up shop in the small bay just around the corner from the bridge (opposite direction to Luna Park).

First cast got me a small snapper pretty much as soon as the bait hit the bottom and the fish came at regular half hour intervals from then on. Nothing huge (biggest snapper was just over 20 cm), but it was nice to get a slightly more diverse variety of fish. I got- I think, maybe someone can verify- a wrasse later in the day too. Next time round I'll maybe have enough confidence to go fish right under the bridge.

Cheers, Adam

post-33473-0-09715700-1401536016_thumb.jpg

post-33473-0-86968400-1401536024_thumb.jpg

Edited by adamski

Don't be embarrassed - rock up like you know exactly what you are on to and what you need to do it with :)

You got two more fish than I managed friday night with a 12ft and 7ft rod, a backpack full of tackle and an ensemble of buckets and supporting gear :)

Haha! Thanks for the encouragement, as I said- I'll see next time. My problem is I still have the odd stray cast or I stupidly forget to check something in the set up e.g. line that's twisted over the rod tip, and I end up pinging the cast all over the place. I'd rather go fish somewhere by myself til I iron out those little mistakes.

Meant to say, I caught a couple of very small fish that I couldn't identify and forgot to take photos. To me they looked like baby gurnard but different colours- bronze body with black stripes, white underbelly and red fins with sharp hooks. I'm trawling through google image search now to try and find them, but no luck yet. Didn't want to handle them just in case, so I used scissors and pliers to get the hook out and picked them up very carefully with my gloves and wet wipes.

Very well done mate! And yeah don't be afraid to get amongst it! :) generally most are happy to offer advice if you don't know the area. Anyway, you probably caught more than they did! I may be wrong but yes I believe that's a wrasse. Absolutely gorgeous looking fish! Caught one off the rocks at gerringong was stunned at how cool it looked

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Good form Adam, you are going great guns. Just remember that size is ok but the main thing is catching fish, if you are catching them you are doing something very right. the bigger ones will come with a bit more knowledge of the target species and location and habits of the big ones but using the exact same techniques. :)

Well done mate.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker

great work and when there are lots of people at a spot there in not much point in fishing there because they will the the types that if you tangle their line they will swear at you but we all started like that thats what we got to remember. those people are just the bad people of fishing and there are lots of people who are willing to give you a hand

i think the spot you described is lavender bay its a great all round spot and holds lots of fish in it. ive caught many of those wrase and they are quite common in sydney and you can handle them the other fish you described i wouldn't have a clue about

cheers sydneyfisher12

I live right by where you were fishing mate. Thats basically my front yard, and I fish there a lot. I always fish light there too. I don't know why those blokes use those big outfits like that. You would outfish all of them fishing light anyway. My most common outfit for around that area is a old style certate 1500, 10lb braid, and a really light stick. But then, I'd rather get smoked by a big fish than skull drag in a decent size.