wisemans ferry jewfish

tide'n'knots

gday raiders. I haven't been online much lately because I went through a relationship breakup in December and was without a computer for quite a while and had to do everything on my phone but I am all setup again now and thought it was about time to put up a report. I took a week off work in april with the idea of fishing wisemans ferry but on my first trip realised that the large amount of rain we had prior to april had completely ruined things, the water was chocolate brown and there was so much fresh that all I caught in the first hour of fishing was fresh water eels so I packed up and went home thinking that I should wait until September / October before fishing there again, however with the recent warm weather we have been having I had a sneaky suspicion that the season may extend slightly this year and the water temp is still quite warm for this time of year so I decided to give it another crack on Saturday. I arrived at the very gentlemanly hour of 10am and only fished until 1pm and managed a nice 76cm jew as well as around a dozen smaller soapys and an undersized flathead .....not bad for 3 hours fishing. I actually left at the best time as the tide was just turning to run out as I left and I have found the run out tide slightly better than the run in tide but I had enough at that stage and I decided to give it a better crack this coming weekend before the weather gets too cold. All fish were caught on my favourite bait down there - peeled Hawkesbury prawns.

I haven't figured out how to get the photo from my phone into the computer yet so I have texted it to swordy and he will put up a pic soon ( thanks stewy.)

pete.

post-256-0-41319700-1401695724_thumb.jpg

There ya go Pete]

Good to see you up and about Pete, nice fish hope we can catch up soon its been to long. Are you coming to this years Hairtail Social ? will be a great weekend lots of laughs take care Stephen and Fiona

That's a really nice jew Pete... Congrats should be stoked

Have tried fishing Wisemans ferry before without much luck. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

James

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

gday james are you fishing from the shore or boat?

Good to see you up and about Pete, nice fish hope we can catch up soon its been to long. Are you coming to this years Hairtail Social ? will be a great weekend lots of laughs take care Stephen and Fiona

gday steve, not sure at this stage about the social but my mate joe just got himself a 5.8 metre half cab surtee so I might have to get him signed up as a raider and con him into going to the social! look forward to catching up soon.pete

Love the look of a Wisemans Ferry Jewie.... they take on a different colour and shape.

Trying to work out where you standing? Is it near the main Ferry?

hows it going mate? im standing at the public wharf just near the public ramp not far from the ferry.

pete

Very nice fish mate! Sounds like a cracker session! What sort of rig do you use for the prawns?

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

gday mate I just use a trace roughly about 1mtr with a 1/0 hook or a size 1 hook depending on the size of the prawns with a ball sinker just big enough to get bottom.

for some reason they seem to work better peeled, and they seem to outfish squid or strip baits too don't ask me why I really cant answer that one?

pete

Thinking of heading up to Wisemans Ferry this weekend. Will be land based.... Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks Pete

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

gday mate, i would be fishing either the public wharf or the bend in the river near the ferry. spotieanddotie has been getting them there from the wharf for a couple of weeks on squid according to his report, what ever you decide to use for bait make sure its in prime condition. I would be throwing one rod out baited with a double hook rig and california squid and another with peeled prawn, dont be afraid to put two prawns on if they are a little bit small make sure the hook is loaded up well. good luck. pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Hey mate, nice fish! You saying you got that on a praaaaawn?

Good luck with the relationship stuff too :)

gday dave, I get 90% of my jew up at wisemans on peeled prawn, it seems to work better than most other things probably because it is a big part of their diet in that part of the river. I have caught a few on squid and strip baits also but its amazing how many times you can have a big bait out and the rod with a peeled prawn bends over and takes off with a good fish on it, including several over the 20lb mark!

all good with the relationship stuff too mate - I have recently met someone very special and as a bonus she likes fishing!

pete

Edited by tide'n'knots