Calamari Spit Bridge park

Mighty Mulloway

Hi Raiders long time reader first time reporting . When for a squid last Friday night with my brother . We arrived 30 min before high and ended up with two good calamari and a good bait size squid. They were caught with pink yozuri jigs. Had to work for them though. Been under the pump with work was really nice to get out of the house and also away from the mrs Haha

Thinking of heading up to Newport Beach on the weekend. Maybe try chase jew or some Taylor with the squid that we caught. Has anybody been fishing around the Northern beaches of late?

James

Sorry no pictures wasn't planning on writing report... Will make sure I post pictures on my next adventure :-)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Edited by Jewie

Good work on the squid - I had a little go for them next to the bridge on sunday night on the high tide but no hits, mind you I don't know what I am doing with squid jigs yet but I have seen others take them from there.

I have hit Narrabeen and fishermans beach a few times over the last few weeks with no success - not sure if that is just me or the times I am picking to go (generally high tides on friday/weekend nights) but its been very quiet when I have been out. I was hoping for at least some tailor or sambos while I was targeting jewies but not a touch at all, save a wobbegong last weekend at fisherman's beach.

Mullet fillets, although over the weekend I didn't have a chance to pick up some so I was using servo pilchards hoping to convert them into tailor fillets.

With the squid jig I kept in mind something I read which was if I wasn't getting snagged I wasn't trying hard enough, and I was certainly doing that, but I think I need to slow down the retrieve. Hard to know if its technique/jig or whatever when there seems to be none around anyway - I have seen them there before just swimming about in front of me but last night there was hardly anything about.

Unfortunately with Squidding patience is needed. Can be very very very very frustrating. Just think that you need to make the jig look like a prawn swimming. There are lots of nights we get donuts. Just keep working on the technique and retrieve slowly. They will come.

Edited by Jewie

good work on the squid mate!

This is the technique i use, generally in deeper waters. Will help your catch, also understand what colour jig to use where.

After a while you will get the hang of it, will consistently catch squid, and know where to look!

Hey Oorota thanks for the advice. Will definitely give this a try next time I'm out. Have you tried this technique from a wharf??

I have read a previous post of yours. Have you been up to Apple tree Bay lately? When for a drive to check it out.. Really nice spot

Thanks

James