Botany bonito and squid

adkel53

Yesterday I ventured out of Botany heads very early in the hope of trolling up a few bonito. Two lightweight trolling outfits were set up with white plastic Yamashita squids fitted with a small barrel sinker and a single O'Shaughnessy hook in the tail. If there are bonito about they usually can't resist these economical little beauties and those single hooks seem to ensure very solid hookups every time. I towed them southwards at about 5 kts, staying in close behind the backwash from the cliffs. After 15 minutes or so I landed a nice plump little bonito. Another soon followed. I just love the way they slug it out on light gear with that distinctive beating of the tail. A great little sportsfish I reckon. A couple of hours of trolling saw me land my limit of 10 fish. I found them to be spread out a little and would get one or two fish in one area before continuing further on, ending up almost down at the end of the cliff line. They will become bait for something bigger one day! They ranged from about 1 to 1 & 1/2 kg in size.

Returning to the bay I decided to try my luck on some squid as the tide rose, managing to land three good sized ones - enough for salt and pepper squid for two last night and a squid and rocket salad for tonight. Fresh squid, correctly prepared, is one of the delicacies of the sea in my humble opinion.

A top morning out on a warm, sunny winters day.

Edited by kel

good one kel, I didnt think bonito would still be around in winter

I was acting on a hunch Gazza. I had no indication that they were around. Two winters back they were plentiful along that stretch of the coast and had some mac tuna mixed in with them. I'm hoping that they hang around for a while!! Great sport on light gear and reputed to be quite edible. I think squid might just top them though!! The squid salad is really good. I'll post it in the kitchen section of the site.

Guest Aussie007

I was acting on a hunch Gazza. I had no indication that they were around. Two winters back they were plentiful along that stretch of the coast and had some mac tuna mixed in with them. I'm hoping that they hang around for a while!! Great sport on light gear and reputed to be quite edible. I think squid might just top them though!! The squid salad is really good. I'll post it in the kitchen section of the site.

i love catching bonnies mate, i was with a mate one time trolling between the islands at port kembla when he snagged a large bonnie had to be 60cm easy big fat thing it was trolling a rapala