Pommie Expert

Paikea

I have a mate lives in the UK who is a top camera buff. He will hopefully be joining the site soon where I am sure he will post pics of his UK fishing exploits etc.

He recently sent me the following pics. The first are of his caravan in Scotland, not too shabby a place eh?

Cheers

Paikea

Do you know where in Scotland that is? I'm Scottish and it looks familiar- we've got a few spots like that in Fife. Pics like that bring back memories of learning to fish for the first time! :)

Hi Adam

John is trying to join Fishraider at present but having some problems getting on. Donna is looking in to it. When he gets on you can ask him yourself, as a professional free lance photographer he has some great pics of fishing in his area.

Cheers

Paikea

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya team :sun: Firstly thanks for the kind welcome,looking forward to being a regular contributer both on fishing reports and photographic subjects.

To answer the question our caravan is in Drummore,Mull of Galloway,Scotland. Our aspect is looking east over Luce Bay.

Will add a few pics so you get a feel for the stuff I like. Paikea "Pommie expert" indeed ha ha,I nearly spilled my beer when I seen that. Thanks anyway mate :sun:

This is a sunrise shot of Tynemouth Longsands close to our house in Whitley Bay

IMG_0061prc_zps8d6f8ee9.jpg

A Harris Hawk I photographed a few weeks ago.

IMG_1644prc_zps0acfa0dc.jpg

Dunrobin Castle

IMG_1750prc_zps8ba0e6b8.jpg

An iconic Sydney landmark if ever there was one !!!

IMG_6165r_zps07feb8b6.gif

A firework display I photographed in Whitley Bay

IMG_4947prc.jpg

Last one,Warkworth Castle

IMG_3443prc_zps9ff45f2f.jpg

Looking forward to having a good laugh on here with you guys :drunk::clapping::biggrinthumb:

John

Paikea "Pommie expert" indeed ha ha,I nearly spilled my beer when I seen that.

I am glad that you said "nearly" John, from memory you don't mind a beer or three, even our cold version.

Love your pic of the Harris Hawk, I go up to Lennox Head to visit Simon & family and fish the beach North of LH. We take our 4WD's and drive along the beach.

There is a pair of resident Sea Eagles that often sit in a dead tree about midway along the beach. I have thrown some fish on the beach and watched them swoop down and pick them up, awesome to watch. Thing is, I want to get some pics of them doing it, any clues on how to maintain focus on a bird that is travelling towards me quite fast?

Cheers

Paikea

Paikea "Pommie expert" indeed ha ha,I nearly spilled my beer when I seen that.

I am glad that you said "nearly" John, from memory you don't mind a beer or three, even our cold version.

Love your pic of the Harris Hawk, I go up to Lennox Head to visit Simon & family and fish the beach North of LH. We take our 4WD's and drive along the beach.

There is a pair of resident Sea Eagles that often sit in a dead tree about midway along the beach. I have thrown some fish on the beach and watched them swoop down and pick them up, awesome to watch. Thing is, I want to get some pics of them doing it, any clues on how to maintain focus on a bird that is travelling towards me quite fast?

Cheers

Paikea

Its always difficult to maintain focus when birds are flying towards you at great speed. Do not know your camera but the first thing I would try would be to set my camera to Tv (time value) and set my shutter speed to 1000 sec - you may have to ramp your ISO up to 200/400 to achieve this depending on the light conditions. I would also centre focus and shoot in bursts. Finally I would say a little prayer :sun:

Will dig out a few in-flight bird shots for you. Off hand I know I have a buzzard,barn owl,eagle owl and red kite.

Hope you get your shot mate.

John

Some years ago I gave the boss a Canon 300D with a 18-55 Canon lens and a Sigma 135 - 400 lens for a birthday. Big mistake! Will only let me use it on rare occasions. Also bought a mono pod for use with the big lens.

I would love to get one of those buff coloured long professional lenses but they cost more than the camera.

Cheers

Paikea