FADS.

thirtyohsixer

a FAD is a fish. aggregation. device. its a buoy attached to the bottom in an area where there is no structure. The presence of this chain and barracles in the middle of nowhere attracts the whole food chain from tiny organisms to megafauna feeding on them. fish also use the structure as a reference point and move around the area, returning to the structure for safety. you can find anything from bait to marlin holding at a fad.

Thanks guys. I just read in the website that they are expensive to maintain. It looks like it's quite a robust plastic buoy with a massive chain? What's to maintain? The chain? Surely there's a material out there resistant to sea water by now. Just seems like such a great idea, too great that there is only apparently 25 out there. Almost want to get on a boat and see what it's all about!! Sorry to harp on but final enquiry. The fad "code of conduct" was " courtesy should be given to fishermen already using the fad" do you need to be right on top of it??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I just read in the website that they are expensive to maintain. It looks like it's quite a robust plastic buoy with a massive chain? What's to maintain? The chain? Surely there's a material out there resistant to sea water by now. Just seems like such a great idea, too great that there is only apparently 25 out there. Almost want to get on a boat and see what it's all about!! Sorry to harp on but final enquiry. The fad "code of conduct" was " courtesy should be given to fishermen already using the fad" do you need to be right on top of it??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no you don't need to be right on top of it the fish usually feed off it and around it about 100meters around it

Usually what most boats do is start up current a bit drift past it for about 100m and start the process again but there always that one person who sits right on top of the FAD driving up to it spooking all the fish off

Also I think it's made of some sort of metal I'm the same with you I don't understand why they can't just make it of a saltwater resistant material

Cheers

Edited by Sydneyfisher12