Bonnies still firing off Botany Bay

adkel53

I couldn't resist the thought of another crack at the bonnies off Botany Bay. A quick check with my game-fishing mate about the state of the bait freezer sealed the deal and I was on the water to watch the first jet touch down on the 3rd runway right on 6.00 am this morning.

I started trolling the ever reliable plastic squids just as the horizon took on a deep orange colour, having watched the full moon drop below the horizon on the way out. In the first hour all I could find were 4 slimy pike - the water temperature had dropped to 19 degrees, two down on last week. I made it all the way along the cliffs without seeing much bait in the water and no screaming of a reel to indicate that my quarry had smashed the little plastics.

All that changed on the way back north though. I began to see patches of bait on the sounder screen and some garies skittering across the surface, obviously with some predators hot on their tails. My hopes, which were waning, were instantly revived. Around 7.15 both reels screamed into action and two fat bonnies were boated. Continuing to troll back and forth around the area I landed my limit of 10 within the hour, including another double hookup.

Bonnies are great fun on light trolling gear. They smash the lures hard and tear off drag while the rod is taken out of the holder, leaving you hoping like hell that the other rod goes off too. When it does it is on for young and old as you try to keep the fish apart by staying in gear until the first fish is landed, aided by a bit of judicious steering and rod work. Only then do I relax a bit and knock the motor out of gear while landing the second fish. Those O'Shaughnessy hooks seem to hold on well and I rarely drop a hooked fish during the fight.

Bonnies - I love'em!!

Edited by kel

I used to fish the rocks, Avoca and The Skillion and occasionally Devils Gorge during the 70's and we regarded Bonito (or horsies) as we used to call them, they were considered a pest when we were after larger tuna. Now am happy to catch one. Good fun and good eating, we need to appreciate what we have, I now realise.

Steve

Good fun and good eating, we need to appreciate what we have, I now realise.

Steve

Our palates have changed since those days Steve! A good thing I reckon. I kept two of these to smoke after the fillets have been "marinated" in a salt/brown sugar brine enhanced with a bit of dried chilli, some grated fresh ginger and a bit of honey. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. The other eight are destined for bigger things!!

And yeah, great fun on light gear.

Arthur

The smoked fillets were delicious while still warm. Yet to try the cold ones. Will post my method in The Kitchen.

My game fishing mates went out chasing them yesterday to bolster the skip bait supply but came home empty handed. I hope the bonnies haven't peed off so soon and that they catch bigger fish better than they do little ones!! I'll have another crack in a week or two. Anyone been catching lizards off Botany Bay? That could be the plan C, plan B being squidding.