Replacing trailer winch strap

VViCKiD

Hi guys,

It looks like my trailer winch webbing is starting to wear down and needs a replacement. I bought an Atlantic winch from bcf last year. The winch strap loop appears to be internal to the main axle.

aboCJSW.jpg

Does anyone know how to replace straps on such winches ?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by VViCKiD

6ysugemy.jpgUsing a punch, knock out the pin on the shaft for the drum and slide shaft out of housing, you may need to knock it through and remove drum and strap.pin seen here on this pic on the left of shaft.yremydu5.jpgInstallation is a reversal of this procedure, locate drum back in housing and place belt in slot in drum before knocking shaft through housing and drum and tap pin back in through shaft.5ymegy7e.jpghopefully I made sense.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I know this slightly off your subject, but have you ever considered driving your boat up onto the trailer and negating the use of winch strap? Once mastered, makes life a whole lot easier.

Steve

I agree its a whole lot easier to drive on and that's what I do although there will be time when you still need a winch.

I have a twin hull which does make it easier, with strong winds or tidal drift I can still approach at 45 degrees and still get safely on the trailer. I frequently fish alone (yes, that says something about me)! My previous 3 boats were mono hulls and and drove them onto the trailer. If your rollers are stuck, then even with the winch, you are making life harder for yourself. Maybe fix / replace the rollers and find a quiet time (during the week) and practice driving on and driving off. You will be amazed how much easier it makes your life, just need the practice and then comes the confidence.

Steve

Where There's a will there's a way.

I don't know if you have a trailer with rollers and skids or a full roller trailer.

Mark existing height of cradle using a sharpie as a reference point.

Loosen the bolts and drop the whole craddle assembly down away from the hull.

Remove split pin from roller axle shaft and discard.

Remove axle and roller from cradle.

Clean up axle on bench grinder wire wheel or purchase wire wheel to attach to drill and buy some stainless split pins.

Lube shaft, axle, bolts prior to installation.(I use nulon lithium grease).

Install roller into cradle and push through axle.

Install stainless split pins you purchased.

Use a jack to jack cradle back up to mark you previously made.(use a block of timber on jacks cradle.)

Install pre-greased bolts firmly.

I could have changed them for you in the time it took me to write this on my mobile.

Hope you appreciate it.

Just kidding.

Cheers.

Forgot to mention when launching, wrap your bowline around the winch post otherwise you won't be able to unclip the winch strap, it will slide off on it's own.

btw, is that lithium grease in a spray ?

cheers

No I use it from a tub or tube, but you can buy it in spray cans.

I don't have any left here.

But these products will do anything you need on a boat and are very good.ebajumen.jpgnamudy2a.jpg3y6a9u2e.jpg

There's heaps of products out there, these are just the few I've used time and time again that haven't failed me.

Others will have their opinion.

Cheers.

Guest Aussie007

do it on a day u plan on going fishing put the boat in at the ramp and do the rollers when u get back it'll take 15mins

I thought about that but I will need to clean up the axles on a bench grinder ..

thanks for the pointers guys

If you want to go that way, take your tools and lubes with you and don't forget if you own a cordless angle grinder or drill you can get wirebrush attachments for them also.

Or just take some emery cloth and a wire brush with you.

I prefer to do it in the comfort of home and leave the ramp time to go fishing.

Good luck with it.

Thanks fab. My trailer looks like this:

385-P1120594.JPG
With the number of rollers, I think I'll be doing this at home. Will probably jack the boat up on each side with some timber between the jack and the boat and just take the rollers off and clean and grease .. I'll document this for the future reference of others

Many thanks !

Edited by VViCKiD

I can take your boat out while you do the rollers? :D

Got my friend to take my boat out while I was doing mine, by the time I finished adjusting the trailer, she was an expert in driving the boat up the trailer!