Rozelle, Canal 20/06/14

adamski

Hopped on the lightrail down to Rozelle on a mission: catch my first fish with an SP. I desperately wanted a flathead and I'd been told you can still get them on warm afternoons in winter, but I would have settled for anything. I tried pretty much everything, all the techniques and SPs raiders have mentioned- flathead retrieve with minnows/bloodworms on a slightly heavier 1/8th, double hop for bream using Zman grubz on a 1/32 , small prawns hopped along the bottom, techniques I've seen in videos, even a couple of specific locations people have pointed out (cheers Witha)... but nothing. I can see the lure when I'm hopping it back with the different styles and it looks okay, as far as I can tell I put them on correctly, I was fishing incoming to top of the tide... I dunno, maybe I just got the wrong day and I guess it's just a matter of persistence.

On the plus side, I did get a couple of nibbles on a minnow as it was on the bottom, but just very small touches.

Then I made a bit of a decision that undermined my SPs only decision... Bought some bread rolls and went up to a canal near where I live. Chucked some roll crust in on a very light running sinker rig and caught a few bream. The biggest probably beat my PB by a centimetre or so. Decent fight on a loose drag setting, but it kind of felt a bit hollow as it was on bait :(

post-33473-0-59806600-1403250313_thumb.jpg

Keep at it with the plastics mate if the fish are there and they are on the bite you'll be right.. My go to soft plastic was the small squidgy wriggler pro in bloodworm.. But definitely get some s factor on there as it does help.. A super slow roll along the bottom if there's no snags should find you something don't give up :) if you happen to see a school of bait busting up cast just next to it and just let the line sink and whatever it is will find you

Reubs

You'll get there mate, I can guarantee it! Got 6 flatties and lost something big there the other night. Once I'm done with these bloody exams just let me know and I'll see if I can get ya onto a flatty! Keep at it man

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I went on a trip to malaysia last year and ended up spending $650 aussie on fishing gear :/ but amongst all that I bought a packet of 1.5inch paddletail grubs and some tiny jigheads... I cast it out while blackfishing yesterday and on the slow roll retrieve a hungry little 10cm flathead found it and nailed it.. twas no match for 8lb gear but plastics do work :)

I'm gonna head back out to Rose Bay tomorrow armed with a couple of new SPs and some blades I picked up this avo. Heading off early to catch the high tide and sunrise, here's hoping!

Nice one mate best if luck! The key is to just keep flicking!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk