Sydney Wide Sunday 22nd

Billy2014

Hi Guys,

My first trip wide offshore yesterday in my home built tinnie, Tailor-Made, mixing it up with the big and even bigger boats all day. Although we were aiming for yellowfin, it was more of a trip to get to know the boat, fuel range and performance. We headed out of Sydney harbour, over the 12 mile and then over the shelf to Browns and a little beyond Browns. There were two largish storm cells pretty much over Browns in the morning so we stayed a couple of klms away until the cells moved South. I feel for the boats stuck in that weather which I believe also had some hail in it and a fair bit of lightening as well, not to mention ‘black’ blankets of rain. VHF Channel 21 was pretty busy all day with the usual silliness and calls of yellowfin busting up at the back of Browns, South of Brown’s etc but no luck for us on the fin. We did manage to score a nice winter dollie though and the biggest one for me so that means fresh fish all week. Probably our biggest mistake was to leave fish to find fish, where we hooked the dollie there was bait, stripeys and a nice Yellowfin caught that day in the same area so it may have paid to stay in that area for a while, grass is always greener though….

Can anyone identify the bait fish in the photo; is it what’s left of a flying fish? The dollie was gorging on all sorts of bait, small white baitfish, little squid and this little bait fish which looks like a small pilchard but with really long pectoral fins or wings?

Cheers,

Bill.

post-33700-0-93863600-1403497137_thumb.jpg

post-33700-0-07277900-1403497145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billy2014

Ok, it's a flying fish except mine was a little more decomposed. Always learning but I won't fall for the same trap again. Anyhow, kids demolished the Dollie at the dinner table last night, even after finishing their own serving they would be immediately eyeing off my share! That's what I call providing for the family, worth the effort.

Cheers,

Bill.