BOM - Weather Reports

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I try to get out on the harbour every Friday at least so I am always checking the BOM's forecast for the upcoming week.

I have come to the conclusion that if you check the weather prediction a week out for say a Friday (as I do) you often find that that the actual weather ends up being what was predicted for 1 or even 2 days either side of the Friday.

The same applies for any other day of course...its just that my focus is on Fridays.

I guess this is because the general weather pattern, like this week's clear and windy weather, is known but how quickly that weather pattern will come through is not as easy to predict.

At the moment this Friday is looking ok but it will not surprise me if if the outlook gets changed closer to the day.

So, now when I look at a 7 day forecast for Friday I pay most attention to the report on Sunday because that projects out to the Thursday before and the Saturday after my Friday... if they are all favourable I am always confident

How do other Raiders read the weather for their boat trips?

Quote....."Friday I pay most attention to the report on Sunday because that projects out to the Thursday before and the Saturday after my Friday"

sounds like some thing out of Monty Python.

Quote....."Friday I pay most attention to the report on Sunday because that projects out to the Thursday before and the Saturday after my Friday"

sounds like some thing out of Monty Python.

lol...

I get what you mean! Sound like something from the " Ministry of Silly Sentences "

I hope you got my drift though.

Cheers

Jim

Well, your an optimist.

Friday forecast reads kinda ok, it will be no better than forecast, with some heavy gusts well over the 15 k currently forecast.

I reckon if it's windy, it's windy. The wind will funnel around corners and you never really get out of it.

Get to understand the 4 day synoptic chart. It's the guts of all forecasts. Once you understand it and combine it with some experience you will never be surprised by the weather again. The current chart looks Very ugly for the rest of the week at least, with a lot of similar weather over the coming weeks.

If you read the forecast of 15 knots, sunny etc it seems ok, although the current outlook doesn't really support it.

Willyweather is also worth a look. I have to travel an hour to get on the water so always check out Seabreeze, BOM and Willyweather (sometimes at 4 am if things are looking dicey) before I leave home. That way I get a pretty good idea of what conditions are likely to confront me and can plan accordingly. I never leave home without a plan A. B and C.

Well, your an optimist.

Friday forecast reads kinda ok, it will be no better than forecast, with some heavy gusts well over the 15 k currently forecast.

I reckon if it's windy, it's windy. The wind will funnel around corners and you never really get out of it.

Get to understand the 4 day synoptic chart. It's the guts of all forecasts. Once you understand it and combine it with some experience you will never be surprised by the weather again. The current chart looks Very ugly for the rest of the week at least, with a lot of similar weather over the coming weeks.

If you read the forecast of 15 knots, sunny etc it seems ok, although the current outlook doesn't really support it.

Interesting comments but I think I have given the impression that I am struggling to read a forecast.

I am not saying I have any trouble reading the weather or finding a place to fish in the harbour out of the wind.

What I was saying is that the official forecast for a particular day a week out are just as likely to be a day or so out.

I find the BOM site reasonably reliable and at the moment Weatherzone is predicting the same which is Norwesterly winds light in the morning

increasing to 15 - 25 kph in the afternoon.

This would be the conditions I encounter more often than not in the harbour and its quite fishable. Perhaps you fish offshore in which case I would agree

that that can be unpleasant in a small boat but it certainly doesnt mean the fish are not around.

Any winds from the north mean that I collect bait off Clifton Gardens where a Norwester can blow at 20 kph and you barely notice it.

Then I will fish over the north side of the harbour close in to the headlands and sure there is little wind but it doesn't hamper the fishing at all.

I don't think I have had a trip the year where I have been surprised about the weather, just to expect a forecast to be right a week out. My simple rule is check the forcast a day either side as well and if they are good too its a pretty safe bet.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Willyweather is also worth a look. I have to travel an hour to get on the water so always check out Seabreeze, BOM and Willyweather (sometimes at 4 am if things are looking dicey) before I leave home. That way I get a pretty good idea of what conditions are likely to confront me and can plan accordingly. I never leave home without a plan A. B and C.

Thanks Kell, I might do this scientifically and compare all sites with the 7 day predictions and check my one day either sde theory.

Can't agree more that the final check is the day but I like to know a week out if there is a reasonable chance thet weather will be good... keeps me motivated through the week!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

i usually find there is hardly any wind in the early morning then around 7-10am the wind picks up to around 5-10kn at 11-12am the wind picks up to around 15-25kn and stays like that until it sunset

it can vary and the weather is very unpredictible and can blow up in a second and drop right down any time of the day

cheers sydneyfisher12

Retire from work, check out the weather reports for the next week, and pick what day will suit with wind direction, tide, weather, THEN, work out the rest of things to be done during the week.

Fishing days come first, other things are relegated to second place !!!

Retire from work, check out the weather reports for the next week, and pick what day will suit with wind direction, tide, weather, THEN, work out the rest of things to be done during the week.

Fishing days come first, other things are relegated to second place !!!

Love it.... now there's a man who's got his priority right!