Fabrication help alloy boat

sbf1

Hi,

I just bought older 4.8 m alloy boat and was hoping someone could advise if I should have a motor well fabricated to the boat or leave it as is. I am concerned if I used it on occasion outside it may take some water from the rear rather then run out if it had a well.

Any advice or recommendations will be appreciated

Photos would be good, it will help us help you :) if I am understanding correctly, your transom would have a lower section in the centre for the outboard so you are worried about water rushing in over this lower section? Can you also measure the transom? Short shaft, long shaft outboard?

Edited by Billy2014

Hi mate, I should be able help, built my own plate boat. It would be more a case of design, the photos will help, what brand, model of boat is it? The main issues could be the type of alloy, the surrounding material you have to work with. The well would need to fit in simply to keep water out and still allow for the motor to be trimmed up. You would need to make sure you have enough space internally to sacrifice for the well and also not interfere with hulls structural integrity. I'm assuming also that the boat currently has remote steering? Engine well would have to be pretty shallow if it's a tiller steer boat or it may not be possible at all.

Edited by Billy2014