Sydney Harbour - flathead, bream and trevally

Sydneyfisher12

hi raiders

today i fished my regular saturday fish in the harbour heres how the day went

got to drummoyne boat ramp at 9am and there were only 4 trailers parked there not a good sign

anyway launched and headed for sow and pigs reef go there and there was nobody fishing it i anchored up on the north side but it was impossible to fish because 20kn of wind fighting with a strong current it made drifting baits down a burley trail impossible :ranting2: i even tried really heavy sinkers but they would end up at my anchor rope n 2 seconds i tried 2 sinkers and even floats but they all were coming back to the boat :ranting2:

but i did get a 20cm pinkie and 25cm tarwine and a 25cm bream and then i left

i decided to fish my spot in watsons bay got there and got some small bream and few pinkies 25-28cm then i got a 40cm flatty i got a few yakkas more pinkies and then a 30cm bream i kept the flathead and let every thing else go

it was about 1pm and we decided to move by now the wind was around 25kn so we wanted to go somewhere protected we thought we would try around near the back of the zoo on the sea side not the bridge side we anchored up and got legal trevally every drop all around 35cm we got about 5 bream around 25cm and more trevally and then i got a nice 30cm bream and more trevally from 30-40cm we would of caught more than 30 trevally between me and my dad

by the time we left it was still around 25kn we got the harbour bridge and the wind really picked up 30kn+ all the way home it got even winder when we got to the boat ramp and it was really hard to get the boat on the trailer

it was really windy out there today but you have to go fishing when you get the chance

cheers sydneyfisher12 :fishing1:

Well, you did say in a recent post that the wind doesn't turn you off fishing!

Still, a good catch again.

You can't complain about the larger trevs... they are a good fighting fish and very nice on the plate.

Good work.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Guest hawkesbass

Very nice the best thing about the harbour is you can normally find a few spots out of the wind.

Catching some makes it worthwhile .

Rough old ride back to Drummoyne I bet.

I won't be surprised to see boats blown off their mooring tomorrow.

Edited by Ryder

If there's one thing I've learned about fishing in the wind, it's that it doesn't stop the fish from biting like I always thought it did for some reason :lol:

Well done in tough conditions, I've been surprised many times at how well its possible to do in the wind.

Well you certainly did better than me today

I know how much you hate the boat moving around and you did a great job to get those fish

It did get windy and very cold at Walsh bay tonight

That will make a great feed

Well done

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments guys the reason i fish the harbour is because there's always an area out of the wind or swell and there is always something different to catch

I don't mind a bit of wind it just makes fishing that little bit harder but that's not going to stop me

Also I just remembered I saw some dolphins near the parra side of goat island a fair way up the river pretty cool site to see

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Nice effort! I was there last weekend & landed plenty of trevs. Most of them were undersize but had couple of keepers too.

Just wondering if kingys are still around and if so where? Just bought a down rigger so I'm keen to try it out.

Nice effort! I was there last weekend & landed plenty of trevs. Most of them were undersize but had couple of keepers too.

Just wondering if kingys are still around and if so where? Just bought a down rigger so I'm keen to try it out.

I saw a report were a guy caught a 68cm kingy in middle harbour on his yakka rod while fishing for yakkas and slimies

Worth a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

there are still kings around mate for downrigging i would try the headlands like north, south head etc with live bait better if you can get squid also ive heard reports of some kings on 12mile and the peak using jigs

Thanks! I have no ideas where to catch squid in the Harbour but should be ok to catch some yakkas around clifton gardens so might plan a trip to down some day around the heads. I don't want to wonder out too far in my 4.2m estuary angler so will have to pick a good day. Still chasing my first so very keen!

Edited by nanman

Thanks! I have no ideas where to catch squid in the Harbour but should be ok to catch some yakkas around clifton gardens so might plan a trip to down some day around the heads. I don't want to wonder out too far in my 4.2m estuary angler so will have to pick a good day. Still chasing my first so very keen!

my favorite spot for squid in the harbour is around coblers beach ive had great sucess with small natural colour jigs there also around any of the rocky parts of balmoral in summer the markers should hold heaps of kingfish and places like goat island and the spit should also hold kings

good luck with your new downrigger

my favorite spot for squid in the harbour is around coblers beach ive had great sucess with small natural colour jigs there also around any of the rocky parts of balmoral in summer the markers should hold heaps of kingfish and places like goat island and the spit should also hold kings

good luck with your new downrigger

Thanks for the very helpful advice Sydneyfisher12