New minn kota purchase

daniel944

Hi all

I am considering upgrading from my current transom mount 40lb minn kota to a 55lb version with ipilot and bow mount. I have a few questions:

1) The design of my boat (4.3m runabout with a full canopy) makes it hard to mount the motor on the front, however the back transom has a large flat area making it easy to mount a bow mount motor at the back. Will the ipilot work correctly from the back of the boat?

2) I have come across a few motors like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minn-Kota-1363420-Riptide-SM-55-L-D-SC-42-Saltwater-Bow-Mount-Trolling-Motor-/171236841925?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item27de82d9c5&_uhb=1

They appear to be a normal transom mount motor clipped into a bow mount bracket? Would it be possible to reuse my 40lb in this way as it is a great little motor and is the right size for my boat and my batteries.

3) Are there any other brands out there that offer a similar GPS technology that I should consider? Between my Dad and I we have had 3 Minn Kota motors and have been very happy with all of them, so there would have to be a significant advantage to moving away from minn kota.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

There is a new motorguide series that has the gps functions like the mk. Some people knock the mk others knock the mg. If your happy with mk stay with that mate. Also pretty sure that mk is partnered with hummingbird and mg with lowrance for sounder hookups. Maybe huey can clarify, either way maybe speak with him, they are all great blokes and willing to give expert advice

Hi, I choose not to stock MG for a few reasons and I choose to stock M/K because I like them. mii11X is right, Johnson outdoors own M/K and H/B so they can talk to each other if you get a link version M/K. MG and Lowrance are two different companies and do not "talk" to each other the same way. With both you can get universal transducers but they are a compromise. As for the original questions the big problem will be the runabout you have and that the bow area does not work well with bow mount units and they are the ones that have I-Pilot. The pricture you posted is a bow mount tiller model that they do not really bring down under and not the best to operate. We have fitted bow mounts to runabout but it more complicated and as a result dearer than a console style boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, as mentioned you can get electric outboard with generic transducers that can connect to different brands, if that is what you mean by simple hookup. If you are talking about the very cool link version in the M/K range that "talks" to the H/B and allows you to find a good location on the sounder, say an interesting ledge with SI showing you alot of structure and fish, then pressing a button on the controller via the ethernet link the Minn Kota will take you to that location, then no MG does not have that ability with any brand of sounder.

Cheers,

Huey.