460 Coast runner 60hp 4 stroke Prop help

timmy180883

Hi,

I recently brought a 460 coast runner, on the water run it went 30 mph with the current 26 mph against the current, it has a standard white prop but it is all dinned up, I heard that you get a top speed of 36 mph, it this just as simple as buying a new prop with a different pitch? any suggestions ?

Thanks

Tim

speed is not every thing! if the prop is the wrong pitch your motor will rev too high or not high enough this can also result in being hard to get on the plane &/or cavitation when cornering & in choppy water .

talk to the guys at solas they will put you on the right track.

Brett

Hi, as Brett said we need to know WOT RPM to see if you can change props and get more speed, but then acceleration will suffer. I would not believe everything you "hear" about speeds with boats-people always like to say they go faster than they really do especially once it is confirmed it is accurate speed like with a GPS- Speedos are very inaccurate in boats. Also if you have an alloy prop, which I guess you do, then upgrading to a SST can help but again speed is really irrelevant in determining if you are propped right-WOT RPM is the most important.

Cheers,

Huey.

I've heard SST props will give you more speed but if you don't know an area or fish around shallow reefs/rocks there bad because they don't bend like aluminium ones and it can rip parts of the engine and even the whole engine off

I think the speed you're getting us fine I have a quintrex 480 with a 60 merc 4 stroke and it goes fast enough for me

I'd just get another stock prop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Prop on my Quintrex bowrider 475 is not new to say the least, as I've made the mistake of forgetting the engine down when towing off the ramp. I still get very close to what is stated in a fact sheet about exactly my type of boat and engine (Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke ). I get a top speed 50 kmh with no wind and mirrof flat water. And average top spead at 46 kmh is correct. So I'm not replacing it anytime soon.

Hi, no such thing as a "stock" prop because no outboard manufacturer knows what hull a particular engine is going to go on. It is upto the dealer and their skill, or lack of in most cases, to fit the right prop and if you are only seeing 5200RPM at WOT you are overpropped and lugging that outboard. You should drop down a couple of pitches no matter what material a prop is made off.

Cheers,

Huey.